Ion Weapons?

Supplement ideas, house rules, homemade stat cards, homebrew weapon types, and other cool variations

Moderators: warman45, Rev. Sylvanus

Darkfrost
Champion
Champion

Ion Weapons?

Post by Darkfrost » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:33 pm

These aren't rules for Ion weapons, more of a question, but does anyone have rules made for FTL like Ion weapons?

(i.e. shoot at a target, the part you hit is ionized and doesn't work anymore for a few seconds, ion weapons even work if the enemy has shields because it hits them and disables their shield generator, that type of thing.)
(Mainly so you can shoot them with your other guns while that thing is down.)
(By FTL I mean the game)

Texhnophille
Minifig

Re: Ion Weapons?

Post by Texhnophille » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:17 pm

Darkfrost wrote:These aren't rules for Ion weapons, more of a question, but does anyone have rules made for FTL like Ion weapons?

(i.e. shoot at a target, the part you hit is ionized and doesn't work anymore for a few seconds, ion weapons even work if the enemy has shields because it hits them and disables their shield generator, that type of thing.)
(By FTL I mean the game)
It is mostly covered by d12 Phased Damage Dice that ignore Deflection and Armor Plating bonuses. As for disabling, you always have a Component Damage.
Natalya wrote:Warhammer doesn't sell well because the models are good; it sells because of the awesome universe created around the models.

BriksKrieg
Dimmy

Post by BriksKrieg » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:19 pm

Texhnophille wrote:
Darkfrost wrote:These aren't rules for Ion weapons, more of a question, but does anyone have rules made for FTL like Ion weapons?

(By FTL I mean the game)
It is mostly covered by d12 Phased Damage Dice that ignore Deflection and Armor Plating bonuses. As for disabling, you always have a Component Damage.
That said, you are welcome to make some rules and special stuff for ion weapons.
:troll:
Tzan wrote:The STFU looks like its positioned at the tip of the galactic penis.
ninja_bait wrote:I am vaguely aware that head pats are a weeb thing and weeb things are usually lewd

Darkfrost
Champion
Champion

Post by Darkfrost » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:44 pm

Wondering if this might be a good idea?

Ion Gun (USE: Size*2) (Range: Size*5) (Damage: 0.5 Ion damage per inch of size, all other damage does nothing)
(Ion damage: every full unit of ion damage disables whatever it hits, or whatever generates that, in the case of shields.)
(Cannot hit more than 1 thing per shot, you have to specify what you're specifically shooting.)

BriksKrieg
Dimmy

Post by BriksKrieg » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:45 am

Darkfrost wrote:Wondering if this might be a good idea?

Ion Gun (USE: Size*2) (Range: Size*5) (Damage: 0.5 Ion damage per inch of size, all other damage does nothing)
(Ion damage: every full unit of ion damage disables whatever it hits, or whatever generates that, in the case of shields.)
(Cannot hit more than 1 thing per shot, you have to specify what you're specifically shooting.)
So, a size 4 creation would take 2 ion damage? What does 2 ion damage do, as opposed to 6 ion damage? Is ion damage a viable thing to target infantry with, or just robot/droid infantry?

Just a few questions I had initially, but this is starting to look pretty good!
ninja_bait wrote:I am vaguely aware that head pats are a weeb thing and weeb things are usually lewd

Darkfrost
Champion
Champion

Post by Darkfrost » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:20 pm

So, a size 4 creation would take 2 ion damage? What does 2 ion damage do, as opposed to 6 ion damage? Is ion damage a viable thing to target infantry with, or just robot/droid infantry?

Just a few questions I had initially, but this is starting to look pretty good!
No, the size of the gun is the amount of damage, a size 4 gun would deal 2 Ion, disabling whatever you shot at, for 2 rounds, you can only shoot at components, not full structures/vehicles, so for example if you shot at the tracks of a tank, the motor would be ionized and not work for (Ion damage amount) number of rounds, also I don't think you could shoot at anything that isn't atleast somewhat electrical/mechanical, but stunning robot infantry would work, it would probably also only take 0.5, and the damage then jumps to the next robot., and you could ionize equipment aswell.

Probably gonna make anything shot at that is 2" or less in size, only take 0.5 ion damage to disable for one round.

hope that clears this up.

BriksKrieg
Dimmy

Post by BriksKrieg » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:15 pm

Yes, this makes lots more sense now.
I can't wait to see this in effect on the field!!

stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Post by stubby » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:58 am

In the past I've handled it as a form of non-spreading Fire damage, with the disabling handled by a modified Overloading/Overheating that applied to that component only http://brikwars.com/rules/2010/8.htm#5 - if the component is "burning" with an Ion field larger than its size, then it's disabled, and has to wait for the burning roll to go down.
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?