Alternatives too Alienware 15 laptops

Also, butts.

Moderators: Blitzen, Almighty Benny, Falk

Brikguy0410
Official SEXY Forum Science, History, and Literature Expert

Alternatives too Alienware 15 laptops

Post by Brikguy0410 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:09 pm

Looking for stuff around same spec level, but cheaper.

RedRover
I want you to be
I want you to be

Re: Alternatives too Alienware 15 laptops

Post by RedRover » Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:27 pm

Alienware 14. It's the same thing but one less

samuelzz10
n00b
n00b

Post by samuelzz10 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:27 pm

As a broad generality, if you're looking for a serious gaming computer a desktop would be more ideal. Alienwares are also pretty overpriced for what they are. If you really need a laptop you could probably find a much cheaper one than an Alienware with specs that might be marginally worse, but are basically the same.

If you get a desktop make sure it isn't made with proprietary parts, and that it can be upgraded with new parts when you want to upgrade.
Spoiler
Show
my old sig
WARNING: Posts in forum may have been edited by forum

dilanski
Now with added tractor fetish

Post by dilanski » Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:56 pm

As samuelzz said, desktop. It will be cheaper and have more upgrade options in the future. Even then if the cost is unpalatable, you can build it yourself to save a bit extra on top. Compared to the alienware tax, getting two computers, a gaming desktop and a netbook will likely be the same price, but give you fewer compromises on both sides (unless you really want portable PC gaming, but that is a more niche thing than most people think).
samuelzz10 wrote:If you get a desktop make sure it isn't made with proprietary parts, and that it can be upgraded with new parts when you want to upgrade.
I don't think it is possible to get proprietary parts outside of some AIO's. And even then they will likely take M.2 SATA and DDRL, so they aren't entirely unupgradable. We all know what you mean though samuelzz, you're saying to get something with a nice fat PCI-E 16x slot on it, and shove the biggest graphics card in that won't cause the power supply to fry and burn you alive in your sleep.
Almond Status: ACTIVATED

Brikguy0410
Official SEXY Forum Science, History, and Literature Expert

Post by Brikguy0410 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:18 pm

I need a laptop because my parents are divorced, and a desktop can't move with me between their 2 houses (the time I spend at each is split 50-50, if I had a desktop, I would not be able to use it literally 50% of the time) also building my own computer is out of the question as I have basically zero knowledge about such things.

Overwatch_Elite
In ™ We Trust Overwatch
In ™ We Trust Overwatch

Post by Overwatch_Elite » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:45 pm

you should be able to carry it around and plug it in as long as you have a case and arent a weak little baby
also pc gaming has become so mainstream that even an idiot can put a pc a together, if you're afraid of breaking the pieces then don't be because they had to stress test all the parts in the fat hands of their man children focus group to begin with, unless having "zero knowledge about such things" just means you aren't willing to learn un which case fuck you and your laziness

dilanski

Post by dilanski » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:46 pm

Brikguy0410 wrote:I need a laptop because my parents are divorced, and a desktop can't move with me between their 2 houses (the time I spend at each is split 50-50, if I had a desktop, I would not be able to use it literally 50% of the time) also building my own computer is out of the question as I have basically zero knowledge about such things.
Hmm. If you have money for an Alienware, then there are certainly compact options depending on how you travel.

I built a rather nice workstation build in the case above, which should easily fit into a carry case. You just need a smart choice in peripherals, and somewhere to set it up in both locations. TV's work in a pinch for gaming (not as nice as a good 1m/s TN, but still workable) Only issue is if you need it for work, but you could get two commodity 1080p monitors and set one up at each place.

Also, building a PC is so piss easy it can be done drunk. Just watch some video's, read some guides and be sure to treat your motherboard manual as if it is the word of god gaben himself. The only hard part is choosing compatible parts, but there are plenty of guides and opinionated bystanders Nvidia fanboys to help you with that.
Almond Status: ACTIVATED

Vami IV
blah blah swastikas kkk look how edgy I am
blah blah swastikas kkk look how edgy I am

Post by Vami IV » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:36 pm

Speaking as someone who uses an Alienware (X17), I would recommend a desktop. That is, unless, you want to carry it around. At which point I would suggest you give up an Alienware laptop because these things are like 15 pounds.