LEGO nowadays

Creations, construction techniques, and news from the world of plastic toys

Moderators: Dr. X, ikensall, fredde

OJClock
Battlefield General

LEGO nowadays

Post by OJClock » Tue Dec 25, 2007 1:48 pm

they've gone 50% japanophile and 50% remakes that make the old sets look better.
I'm disappointed.

Rayhawk
Overlord

Post by Rayhawk » Tue Dec 25, 2007 2:32 pm

Up until this year I might have agreed with you, but man, the construction on the sets coming out right now and coming up for next year is just getting sweet. (Ironically, right after I left the company. I hope there's not a connection.) They're drafting more and more of the superstar builders straight out of the fan community, I think we're just starting to see the difference it's making.

IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Post by IVhorseman » Tue Dec 25, 2007 6:40 pm

there was a short run right around when the batman sets came out that i really liked, but the whole giant japanese robot thing kind of threw me off. although i will admit, the construction on a few of those sets was top notch. i specifically remember a rifle that came with the set that actually used a ski as part of the sights on it, and seeing something both so creative and violently realistic come out of the company made a little warm spot in my heart.

Almighty Benny
Jaw-Jaw

Post by Almighty Benny » Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:39 am

I think that means you need to get your heart potty trained immediately.
I said "no" to drugs, but they just wouldn't listen...

Jemulov
Champion
Champion

Post by Jemulov » Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:25 am

:denied:
REDACTED
Last edited by Jemulov on Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Space for rent.

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:19 pm

Jemulov wrote:I like how they are starting to make guns and not using reversed loudspeakers as blaster rifles.
hey! don't diss the classics! those blasters are gold man, gold!

King of Brix
Minifig

Post by King of Brix » Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:25 pm

I actually found the "blaster" rather useful as a base for building a big gun... I'd simply attach those big gun things to it, to make an even bigger gun, and then add even more to it.

Almighty Benny
Jaw-Jaw

Post by Almighty Benny » Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:30 pm

grenade and rocket launchers would be nothing without the old fashioned megaphones and space guns.

King of Brix
Minifig

Post by King of Brix » Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:33 pm

Actually, they'd just be smaller, more pathetic versions of themselves... But still, I admit equipping the occasional unit with a reversed megaphone plus red or green stud. Sets off the broadsword nicely.

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:40 pm

i use it as a standard machine-pistol.

and as for big classic guns, let's not forget the video camera! that piece of plastic can make ANY heavy weapon! actually, that's what's hillarious about that piece: i've never seen it used to make a smaller weapon. the smallest i've ever personally used it for would be a tie between a high caliber sniper's rifle and a heavy machinegun.

The Lizard King
Hero

Post by The Lizard King » Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:46 pm

I think the older sets were much better then whats coming out today. I like the new Castle stuff and the Indiana Jones stuff looks cool along with the Star Wars. But the coolest stuff were the ones from the 80's, 90's and early 2000's.
"I Am The Lizard King, I can do Anything"

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:49 pm

i think it was really right after bionicle became popular that they decided to crap out on actually good sets. why make something amazing with tons of rebuild value when you can just make lots of money off of crappy bionicle figures? YES MY FRIENDS, LEGO TRICKED YOU INTO BUYING ACTION FIGURES.

King of Brix
Minifig

Post by King of Brix » Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:50 pm

Ah, yes. I've yet to add that to a gun... Mainly because my simple fusion of the Megaphone and the big gun is already just enough for the minifig to hold, as well as already tipping him over. I'll find a way to incorporate it into something... Thanks for reminding me. I find that (not from experience, I haven't tried it yet) a standard photography camera (the orient expedition sets had one, didn't they?) plus the video camera made a nice start to a small turret... Now I've got to hunt my friend down and beg him for the camera... DAN!!!

Almighty Benny
Jaw-Jaw

Post by Almighty Benny » Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:23 am

YES MY FRIENDS, LEGO TRICKED YOU INTO BUYING ACTION FIGURES.
Aha, but this is assuming anyone actually bought Bionicle figures.

It's been really tough to watch the gradual juniorization of the Lego System franchise as I myself grow more experienced. When I was a wee little fella at 3 years old I was building http://guide.lugnet.com/set/6276 and http://guide.lugnet.com/set/6081 and I loved them to death. Maybe I've grown up too much since then (despite my best efforts), but I haven't had a Lego set make me feel the way they used to in years.

With that said, it seems that things are taking a turn for the better as of late, I just hope they quit with the movie themes and the peach colored minifigs soon and go back to classic themes like castle, pirates, space, adventure, and aquazone. (I know they won't, the Star Wars logo clears store shelves so much faster than the "Lego System Space" logo could ever hope to).

The 1990s were really my Lego era.

PlasmaWrath
Warrior King

Post by PlasmaWrath » Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:04 am

I must say I agree with the general antipathy against the juniorization of LEGO the past ten years or so, but when I see sets like this again, I do feel some slight glimmer of hope.