LEGO nowadays

Creations, construction techniques, and news from the world of plastic toys

Moderators: Dr. X, ikensall, fredde

King of Brix
Minifig

Post by King of Brix » Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:28 pm

Almighty Benny wrote:I just hope they quit with the movie themes and the peach colored minifigs soon
HUZZAH! Somebody agrees with me. Though, they DO make a great objective... Brutally slaughter all peach minfigs stationed around the battle field. Lethal injections do not count.

IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Post by IVhorseman » Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:34 pm

actually i heard that lethal injections can take up to 5 hours to kill, and have been known to leave scorch marks inside the victim's veins.

and good lord, the indy sets have a sidecar to the motorcycle. that's just amazing. almost as amazing as it is to discover that it's not a POOP! (then again, lots of POOPs that i once hated have found amazing uses, as in the old timey movie camera and the sextant).

james+burgundy
I tend to just pile the shit on myself

Post by james+burgundy » Sat Dec 29, 2007 9:46 pm

stickers man they need to stop it. Rember the good old day when every thing was painted on and not stickers you could play rough with it man those where the good old days.

Bonn-o-Tron
Mega Blok

Post by Bonn-o-Tron » Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:16 am

Sometimes I browse the lego section in stores to see if anything catches my eye, but I usually just end up sighing. Although, some of the new sets look a bit like the good old ones, such as the Mars Mission, Castle and Aquazone. I was actually thinking of picking up some Castle or Vikings sets to grab some good medival Minifigs and weapons.

OJClock
Battlefield General

Post by OJClock » Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:59 am

the only series I like is the star wars one now but now they seem to be (for the next year) straying from the movies and making up sets just to keep the cash flowing in

and the new ATAT had to be back ordered

james+burgundy
I tend to just pile the shit on myself

Post by james+burgundy » Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:01 pm

They have run out of movies.

DarkWolf
Officer

Post by DarkWolf » Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:22 pm

No, they're not making stuff up, they're pulling it from the Extended Universe. The TIE Crawler? It's a TIE Mauler, but they redesigned the treads and gave it a less menacing name. I would have rebuilt mine into the TIE Mauler, except I used the treads and plates for my IKE-3. What I'm hoping for is that sooner or later they'll start giving us stuff from Star Wars: Empire at War, which I consider to be the final authority on Extended Universe vehicles (It's a good game, and while the ground combat is kinda weak, and the resource gathering in Skirmish mode takes too long, once you get a decent sized fleet, the space combat is insanely awesome.
"For every battle honour, a thousand heros die alone, unsung and unremembered"
--Anonymous
"Glory to the first man to die!"
--Commissar saying
"When in doubt, empty the magazine!"
--Steel Legion motto

Yak
Champion
Champion

Post by Yak » Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:31 pm

Are they gonna stop the Jhonny Thunder sets because of the Indiana Jones ones? *whisper* oh yeah they already did. Sorry.
The Leader of the LBW (Legion of the Brik Warriors)

Captain Nomouth
Officer

Post by Captain Nomouth » Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:36 pm

I wish that they would reintroduce the old British marines minifigs, I was too young to appreciate them before. You just can't beat those jackets and shoulder frills.
Is it solipsistic in here, or is it just me?

DarkWolf
Officer

Post by DarkWolf » Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:40 pm

Well, the guys who didn't have uniforms did beat them, but then, they were fighting for independance and freedom (why do the English always get the crap beaten out of them by people wanting freedom?) and they had a major advantage: they hid behind rocks while the Brits marched single file down the roads.
--Anonymous
--Commissar saying
--Steel Legion motto

Carda
Officer

Post by Carda » Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:35 pm

Yes, but then a great deal of time later the British developed the Special Air Service, a military organization with decidedly more badassery than the Navy SEALs, the US Marine Corps, and the entire US Army combined.

And I say this as a 100% American who has served in said Army. XD
Bravo 13th: A Lego webcomic

http://lessthan3.netraptor.org/bravo13th/

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:43 pm

DarkWolf wrote:Well, the guys who didn't have uniforms did beat them, but then, they were fighting for independance and freedom (why do the English always get the crap beaten out of them by people wanting freedom?) and they had a major advantage: they hid behind rocks while the Brits marched single file down the roads.
hahaha yeah, i'm all for patriotism and whatnot, but the only real way i can say we won the war is through cheatery <_<. keep in mind, this was a time when you were supposed to go over to the opposing general and say "hey, we're gonna battle tomorrow at noon" and he'd agree, and then you'd stand in a field and shoot at eachother in straight lines. as in, NOT sneaking into their camp on Manly Santa Day morning to suprise attack the enemy while they have hangovers on a holiday, and when you lose a battle to surrender and give up your stuff instead of the far more profitable "hey... let's just LEAVE!"

DarkWolf
Officer

Post by DarkWolf » Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:51 pm

IVhorseman wrote:
DarkWolf wrote:Well, the guys who didn't have uniforms did beat them, but then, they were fighting for independance and freedom (why do the English always get the crap beaten out of them by people wanting freedom?) and they had a major advantage: they hid behind rocks while the Brits marched single file down the roads.
hahaha yeah, i'm all for patriotism and whatnot, but the only real way i can say we won the war is through cheatery <_<. keep in mind, this was a time when you were supposed to go over to the opposing general and say "hey, we're gonna battle tomorrow at noon" and he'd agree, and then you'd stand in a field and shoot at eachother in straight lines. as in, NOT sneaking into their camp on Manly Santa Day morning to suprise attack the enemy while they have hangovers on a holiday, and when you lose a battle to surrender and give up your stuff instead of the far more profitable "hey... let's just LEAVE!"
Ah, yes, the good old days of warfare. I still believe that wars should be won before they start, via knowing exactly what the enemy plans to do, and then drop paratroopers on their capital the week before they launch their attack. Some call it cheating. I call it winning the war with the fewest friendly casulities, but I do not advocate the use of nuclear weapons as anything but the final resort, when the entire military has been wiped out and the enemy controls 99% of your country and the 1% is the remaining nuclear missile silos.
--Anonymous
--Commissar saying
--Steel Legion motto

sullis3
Warrior King

Post by sullis3 » Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:04 pm

I think you'll find a difference of opinion on this topic between two groups of people represented on the forums.

"Those not quite 30 years old" seem to feel that LEGO sets are in a downward spiral, heading towards juniorization and craptacularilty.

"Those who are 30 years old" know better. We've lived "the good old days" (by which I mean the 80s and early 90s), suffered through the "fecal detritus days" (by which I mean the mid-late 90s and early 00s), and are now basking in the Glorious Succubial Rennaissance of LEGO's Ressurection.

And what, you may ask, separates these two populations? I'm guessing it's a wide sea of disposable income.

If you can, drop the bucks for a Cafe Corner (or better yet, convince an elderly relative to do it for you). It has gorgeous, solid, and innovative construction techniques ... and it's out-of-the-box ready for a Brikwars scenario.

For those of you young 'uns who haven't been completely brainwahsed with Episodes I-III, save up all of your allowances for the next 6 years and buy the Millenium Falcon set. It's unbelievably sturdy, designed to scale, and gloriously detailed. The important part of what I just said was TO SCALE. This means it's out-of-the-box ready for a Brikwars scenario. There's the "escape from the Death Star Hanger Bay" scenario - or the "escape from Hoth" scenario - or the "escape from Mos Eisley" scenario. Alternatively, you can just build it, set it up even though it consumes 1/3 of the useful living space in your bedroom, kick back, and think inappropriate thoughts about it. I know I do.

But, to be fair, you don't have to drop the big bucks to get some fantastic sets. The new Dwarven Mine set is a ... goldmine ... of pieces, parts, and playability. Or, even more basic, consider picking up the Yellow Car. The construction of this set is elegant and beautiful. The parts selection is stunning. The piece count is good, and the price - even after the recent $3.00 hike - is stellar. I don't think you can find anything from the 80s or 90s that could match up equally with that single Creator set.

Even some of the new Indiana Jones sets are perfect examples - especially the truck chase. Those designs are sturdy and at the same time very evocative of their subject. Recently LEGO has been abandoning Juniorization and embracing a brick-built philosophy that is like *nothing* they've ever done before.

LEGO is by no means perfect. Sure, they still put out some crap. Actually, they put out LOTS of crap. But I honestly feel - and I've got 25 years of sampling upon which to base this claim - that their average now is higher than it's ever been before. For the past 2-3 years they've been setting the bar higher and higher, and I'm psyched. If they keep it up, I'll die happy. And broke.
"Forsooth, mine eyes doth rove of their own accord." - CBG

Evil Wayne
Champion
Champion

Post by Evil Wayne » Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:11 pm

james+burgundy wrote:stickers man they need to stop it. Rember the good old day when every thing was painted on and not stickers you could play rough with it man those where the good old days.
Actually, I prefer the sticker approach on most brick, because--as a rule--I almost never put stickers on.

It can be a pain to somehow work in a part what has a graphic printed over it. Clean parts are more versatile. That said, there have been occasions when I wish I didn't have the choice, mostly with parts that are supposed to be controls, buttons, or switches. Those type of parts I wish were always printed, as they're more useful in that regard than regular brick.