April 16th Brikwar: @ Philly / Grudge Match

Share your tales of battle and mayhem

Moderators: Moronstudios, Zupponn, Killer Karetsu

Rev. Sylvanus
Galidor
Galidor

April 16th Brikwar: @ Philly / Grudge Match

Post by Rev. Sylvanus » Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:50 pm

Welcome to another edition of Rev's battle reports. Once again, several of us met up at Redcap's Corner in Philly for a bout of brik-carnage. Based on last weeks intro battle, both dirtycajun and I felt cheated of the ability to send our forces at each other, so Saturday was a grudge-match for us. In addition, dirtycajun was testing out a 300CP configuration for use during the tournament redcap is hosting on April 30th (people in the north east should come out of they can!). So without further ado, here is the battlefield set-up between Rev's OOF and dirtycajun's Horror Corps:

Turn 0/Set-up:

Here is an Overwatch of the field. It is similar to last weeks, a tropical brick-scape with ruin buildings and mountains. This time around, a large lake dominates the center of the map where some sort of engine or pod is crashing into the water! Good thing my APC's are amphibious!

Across the table, dirtycajun has arrayed his forces with a pretty heavy presence on my left flank and toward the center.

Here you can see the forces of the Ordo Orientium Flagrans who were requisitioned for this engagement. Since I'm an honorable chap, I went vehicle and hard-suit lite for this battle, opting for more infantry. Commandos in the center brought an APC to give the Horror Corps a taste of real armor :twisted: . My hero is a sniper on the right flank.

Just taking a picture of the Horror Corps experimental weapon. It's supposed to make temporary "light" barriers, but wasn't used much this game. I think he's just trying to get a feel for how to use it.

Turn 1:

First turn goes to the Corps. The tusk jeep moves out to engage one of the random alligators that litter the field. Pumpkin walker moves forward, a pumpkin sniper mounts the sandy hill, and everyone else moves forward. Most of the heavy weapons dudes approach the center island.

Alligator trampled! Or was that all planned???

OOF Freedom Fighters move forward after taking out there own alligator! You see, this is what happens when minifigs have no enemies to clobber yet.

Though still out of range, the APC opens up on the Pumkin walker. I'm pretty sure I didn't do any damage, but I took the shot anyway.

Left flank Overwatch. You can see, I've taken two armor-piercing lasguns on this side of the field. They come in handy, but in retrospect, I might have put them to better use going after the walker :?

Nothing eventful on the right flank; minifigs move up.

Turn 2:

The horror villain accosts a nearby shark...using one of them heroic feats...

To carve it up and wear its skin! Now this feat SHOULD have granted the villain some ossum bonus, but by turn 3, but of us had forgotten about the shark...Oh well...

Experimental weapon generates a light barrier; he wanted it to blot LOS to the heavy weapon skellies, but didn't roll high enough

At the end of the Corps' turn, OOF sniper uses a feat to enter cover and fire at some target. Target had a high armor roll, so no dice...

After some more repositioning, OOF infantry open fire on the pumpkin medix and mechanix, killing one of each. This is also the start of Rev's ability to roll critical successes :boss: No seriously; ask cajun. I rolled SOOOO many sixes this game it was just dumb! I felt really bad in a good sort of way.

While the Corps had rammed their way through the mountain wall on their turn, more OOF rifle fire eliminates the driver.

On the right/center, shots by the sniper and APC eventually lead to the death of a dual-bolter-wielding skellie. That skellie had already put a wound on my APC last turn! so I just couldn't let him live...

Overwatch of the left. APC in the center trying to soak up damage.

Overwatch of the right flank.

Turn 3:

"Get the @&$#! up you maggots! You think you can just die on the job!" At the sound of his hero-sergeant's voice, the heavy bolter who had just bit the dust rises, slightly weaker. He seems to have lost his head.

The tusk-truck rumbles through the narrow gap straight at one of the Freedom Fighter leaders. But I'm sneaky...I've modified his wilderness-survival-leadership so that he gives a squad less "form-up" benefits, but always lets the squad bail. Too bad once they've bailed there not a squad anymore and can't do it infinitely...lolz...

Ork soldiers pile out and prepare for CC.

In the center, I'm not sure who's turn this is exactly. Either this is a shot of a rocket misfire, or a pic of my RPG man blowing off the walker's claw. One of the two.

Note to self: mechanix are great. Note to self, dirtycajun's use of mechanix is greater. One horror mechanix assembles an unholy construct during the OOF's turn.

Using their rifle spikes, the freedom fighters assault an ork in CC.

A rifle shot from somewhere else slays another Ork boy.

And a short sniper dual ends in victory for the OOF sniper hero!

With the sudden rapid loss of of the plasma-cannon wolf chick, things seem to be swinging very Grim for the horror corps...

Things are looking soo good for the OOF that Commandos pop out of the APC hatch to take pot-shots at the pumpkin walker. They all have Ranged Weapons Master, so I feel like I have a good chance of wounding the sucker with some shotgun slug shots. But pride commeth before the fall; Commandos whiff :shock:

Turn 4:

And with that opening, the horror villian sees his chance! He grabs a nearby cannon and decides to use the rocket-jump glitch for online play...

Landing squarely in the APC!!!

...and severing a head with his claws!!! Let's take note that Ranged Weapons Masters are typically pretty sucky at CC...uh oh...

The walker then attempts to rocket the APC, but the sniper Hero uses his super-fast reflexes to esplode the missile as it leaves the pod.

The armored ork then engages a Freedom Fighter in CC. I'm pretty sure this ends in the FF's death.

And a pumpkin medic heals the other medic. One infinite loop coming up!

On the right, infantry continue to press forward, splitting around the mountain.

And in slight desperation for the horror that is taking place in the APC, the sniper hero tries to pop up behind enemy lines with his own high-powered sneak attacks. Alas, rather than showing up behind enemy lines, he appears right in FRONT of them!!!

On their turn, the Commandos desperately open hatches and attempt to shove the horror villain into the lake to make a get-away. They fail...MISERABLY :evil: Now the only one left in the APC is the pilot...

With beads of sweat pouring down his face, the APC squad leader knows what must be done. He flips a switch to shut all of the openings into the transport. Flipping another cover, he exposes a giant red button. Slowly...ever so slowly...the leader swivels his seat to stare into the waiting jaws of green-clad Horror...

On the left flank, a skellie flamer has appeared. OOF infantry fan out in an attempt to reduce the firey carnage.

Turn 5:

But alas, the flamer is just too Leet. He flames two freedom fighters to burning crisps.

And meanwhile...back in the APC...the horror villain eyes the APC pilot maliciously. He can already feel his little brick heart beating in his claws, sending him to meet his squadmates at the black gates. The tension is thick, and the pilot knows that there is no way out of this nightmare. The villain makes his move, sending his claws out like lightning. There is a flash, a pop, the flurry of dice rolling and...

BOOM!!!

Self-destruct sequence initiated. OOF APC's carry a load of 6 MKII grenades that are default set up into the transports self-destruct protocols. In the course of the battle, the APC had only fired one grenade. So what you are seeing is the aftermath of 5 MKII ordinance radiating out 10" As the fires burn and the smoke dissipates, only three units remain on the field for either team!!!

Two surviving FF's -- one who is quite startled by the explosion -- gun down a heavy weapon's skellie.

Errr....wait...maybe the FF's shot this mechanic before he could start making stuff out of the wreckage...I can't remember...

A surviving AA leader finds cover on top of a horse.

Turn 6:

Experimental weapons mummy takes a shot at one of my surviving Freedom Fighters. But...

I roll 1d6 armor rolls :boss: (there was also a Benny in there)

In the distance, a different horrifying construct who was constructed several turns ago appears in the door way.

Freedom Fighters then gun down the Experimental Mummy.

EndGame:

RAWR! The horrifying construct charges but doesn't quite make it!!!

On the right, the Freedom Fighters then gun down the final medix. Horror Corps eliminated!!!

WINNER: 1 Field full of brick, flame and carnage!

And that boys and girls is how we roll in Philly. One fantastic game with a super-creative opponent. For most of the game he felt he was out-gunned and out-maneuvered. But when he started tearing up the commandos, I was almost certain he'd take the game (since my APC would have been commandeered and I'd have limited options for taking out his own walker).

Come by Philly next week and join us! Otherwise, more bat-reps in the future.

All the best,
Rev.
Last edited by Rev. Sylvanus on Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
For Your Reading Pleasure: Rev's Battle Reports

Reference Sheets: Animals and Mounts / Medieval Weapons

Factions: Dragon Guard / Hiimboredagain Raiders

dirtycajun
Champion
Champion

Post by dirtycajun » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:09 pm

Honestly it wasn't that I felt so much out gunned as out critted, you roll 6's like you were getting paid for each one of them. Like a boss.

90 fucking damage from the base impact of that APC explosion. 90 people. Nothing survived.

Also I suffer from forgetting who has done what and inevitably forget to use 2-3 of my dudes. I try to make up for this with awesome feats.

Great fucking game it needs to be done more often.
what?

enders_shadow
Mega Blok

Post by enders_shadow » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:23 pm

:ftw: this was amazing, kudos to both sides. Sad that the commandos died so failishly, but then, thats what happens when you support the Immortals. :twisted: great job to Rev. and DirtyCajun, very fun to read

Rev. Sylvanus
Galidor
Galidor

Post by Rev. Sylvanus » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:36 pm

dirtycajun wrote: Also I suffer from forgetting who has done what and inevitably forget to use 2-3 of my dudes. I try to make up for this with awesome feats.

I noticed this in-game and decided that the correct course of action was to not remind you :twisted:

Yeah, if games can be like this one always, then I'll be a pretty happy camper.

dirtycajun
Champion
Champion

Post by dirtycajun » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:51 pm

Rev. Sylvanus wrote:
dirtycajun wrote: Also I suffer from forgetting who has done what and inevitably forget to use 2-3 of my dudes. I try to make up for this with awesome feats.

I noticed this in-game and decided that the correct course of action was to not remind you :twisted:
As it should be.
what?

Zupponn
if you give us money we will give you product
if you give us money we will give you product

Post by Zupponn » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:55 pm

Battle was awesome. I can't wait for the next installment. :D

Pwnerade
Mega Blok

Post by Pwnerade » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:06 am

Another great report from Philly. Keep up the awesomeness!
An army marches on its stomach, and its favorite food is fudge.

Killer Karetsu
Galidor
Galidor

Post by Killer Karetsu » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:21 am

Pwnerade wrote:Another great report from Philly. Keep up the awesomeness!
NO!THERE ARE NO POLAR BEARS IN FINLAND!!!

NapalmKing
Cannon Fodder

Post by NapalmKing » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:25 am

YOu say the Philly tourney is august 30th I thought it was the 20th?
Only 2 things are infinite the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the former- Albert Einstien.

Rev. Sylvanus
Galidor
Galidor

Post by Rev. Sylvanus » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:55 am

No I didn't; I said there is a 300CP tournament on April 30th. Redcap is hosting monthly or bi-monthly tournaments for brikwars. 8)

August 20th is the Philly all-day-and-maybe-some-action-on-Sunday-too brikwars even that is being planned in the other forum

So come to both!

subyrally
Cannon Fodder

Post by subyrally » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:59 am

NapalmKing wrote:YOu say the Philly tourney is august 30th I thought it was the 20th?
re-read the first post.

april 30th, APRIL!!!

:wink:

Natalya
I've trolled before.

Post by Natalya » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:26 am

Rev. I have updated the BW homepage with this battle report and links to some of your other ones because of their excellence. :) Feel free to put this image at the top of this thread's OP.

http://brikwars.livejournal.com/31953.html
  ▲
▲ ▲

"Ya gotta remember, Soryu's a brutal thug, ain't got no finesse like Shinji."

Rev. Sylvanus
Galidor
Galidor

Post by Rev. Sylvanus » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:13 pm

Why thank you Natalya! I think this is a bigger honor than getting a seal :D

Hey, look at that, cajun...we made the news!

Bragallot
MULTIPLE, SIMULTANEOUS AND DEVASTATING DEFENSIVE DEEP STRIKES!!!

Post by Bragallot » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:56 pm

Rev. you play dirty you know that =P

However cajun shows great promise, once he's learned the tricks of the trade he'll be unstoppable!
Fantasy battles - Scifi battles
Kommander Ken wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:04 pm
Wtf is this thread?

dirtycajun
Champion
Champion

Post by dirtycajun » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:08 pm

Hot damn we made the front page!
what?