BW 2010 feedback

Rules questions, suggestions, and discussion

Moderators: Pwnerade, IVhorseman

stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Post by stubby » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:37 am

HAL-9001 wrote:Quick question regarding the Fair Use policy. As you might imagine, I am not eager to give out my name and contact information to anyone and everyone; will it suffice to use my username and PM link?
Do you know, that question has never come up before. Sounds reasonable though.

HAL-9001
Officer

Post by HAL-9001 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:18 am

You updated the Minifig Weapon Explosive to be UR 1 (unless thrown), but did not propagate that change to the Explosives entry (3.2.3).
Heuristic ALgorithmic AFOL.
T6281: Solar Federation (Rules T6588)
T6777: Dungan Swarm
T6783: Space Pirates
T7349: BrikWars Vehicle Datasheet
T7402: Imperium Constructor

Cpl. Halan
Cannon Fodder

Post by Cpl. Halan » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:14 am

Long-Ranged Weapons
Long-Ranged Weapons are for warriors who wish to focus exclusively on ranged attacks. This steel-bikinied commando doesn't care much for hand weapons; she's never met a problem her bazooka couldn't solve.
Weapons shown: Best-Lock, LEGO, Little Armory
The picture for this includes Megabloks(the commando's torso). Just noticed that. Same thing for the short ranged weapons minifig(I think)
Fire, Fire, burning bright
Burning down the house tonight

Heroism is not the ability to kick ass. It is the willingness to use this ability on any poor bastard who so much as looks at you funny.

stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Post by stubby » Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:07 pm

Cpl. Halan wrote:The picture for this includes Megabloks(the commando's torso). Just noticed that. Same thing for the short ranged weapons minifig(I think)
The commando's actually a Best-Lock, but you're right about the short ranged weapons marine. I need to re-shoot those photos regardless, they're some of the oldest pictures in the book and the quality is pretty poor compared to the pictures taken since then.

Rev. Sylvanus
Galidor
Galidor

Post by Rev. Sylvanus » Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:06 am

A minifig bearing absolutely no resemblance to the Master Chef or a Buzzed Templar (Size 1") is protected by an energy shield (xCP 1"). Said minifig is using a Bastard Minigun (size 1.5"). May or may he not activate his energy shield on a turn that the weapon is fired?
For Your Reading Pleasure: Rev's Battle Reports

Reference Sheets: Animals and Mounts / Medieval Weapons

Factions: Dragon Guard / Hiimboredagain Raiders

Cpl. Halan
Cannon Fodder

Post by Cpl. Halan » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:55 am

The bastard machinegun is basically an assault rifle, a minigun is size 2 machinegun.

Heroism is not the ability to kick ass. It is the willingness to use this ability on any poor bastard who so much as looks at you funny.

Rev. Sylvanus
Galidor
Galidor

Post by Rev. Sylvanus » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:10 am

Cpl. Halan wrote:The bastard machinegun is basically an assault rifle, a minigun is size 2 machinegun.
While I thank the Cpl. for he input, I would like to point out that my question has nothing to do with what to call a bastard or 2" minigun since all of our modifiers will be largely subjective. My question is how a bastard gun of any type interacts with an energy shield...

Cpl. Halan
Cannon Fodder

Post by Cpl. Halan » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:13 pm

@Rev: It kinda does, I get that your question is whether you can shoot with a shield up but the answer might be different if you needed compensating to use the weapon.
@stubby: I just saw a problem with compensating, a size one creature, similar to a minifig, can carry up to 2 inches of weapons(like a size 2 MG) without penalty, but when a minifig of the same size tries that, he needs a special ability to do the job worse. Bit of a discontinuity there.

*CRAZYHORSE*
Mega Blok

Post by *CRAZYHORSE* » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:34 pm

Cpl. Halan wrote:@Rev: It kinda does, I get that your question is whether you can shoot with a shield up but the answer might be different if you needed compensating to use the weapon.
@stubby: I just saw a problem with compensating, a size one creature, similar to a minifig, can carry up to 2 inches of weapons(like a size 2 MG) without penalty, but when a minifig of the same size tries that, he needs a special ability to do the job worse. Bit of a discontinuity there.
No a creation can fire weapons up to twice it's size but if he is holding the weapon in his hands (which is the case with minifigs) then he is limited to use weapons up to his own size. so minifigs are acctually in an advantage seeing that they can usen weapons up to size 1.5".
stubby wrote:You were inb4beluga.

Rev. Sylvanus
Galidor
Galidor

Post by Rev. Sylvanus » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:08 pm

*CRAZYHORSE* wrote:
Cpl. Halan wrote:@Rev: It kinda does, I get that your question is whether you can shoot with a shield up but the answer might be different if you needed compensating to use the weapon.
No a creation can fire weapons up to twice it's size but if he is holding the weapon in his hands (which is the case with minifigs) then he is limited to use weapons up to his own size. so minifigs are acctually in an advantage seeing that they can usen weapons up to size 1.5".
Thanks for mentioning that, Crazyhorse, because that is the crux of my question. A minifig is 1" and can therefore use up to 2" of weaponry. Yet his hands limit him to firing only one weapon as you mention (which can be up to bastard size (1.5")). Activating an energy shield uses up its size worth of "weaponry" for the creation that turn. in the case of the minifig, having an active, personal energy shield uses up 1" of weapon usage. With a pistol (effective size 1"), the minifig would be able to keep his shield active. A Heavy (carrying a size 2" weapon) would not be able to active his shield on a turn he fires the weapon (because the 2" max has been used up). So what do we do with the "bastard" (1.5") weapon? Is there rounding up or down? Is there no rounding? Would trying to use both the AutoGun (1.5") and the energy shield (1") result in a total of 2.5" meaning that only one could be used in a given turn?

That's my question.

*CRAZYHORSE*
Mega Blok

Post by *CRAZYHORSE* » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:22 pm

I wouldn't round up or down and in that case I think that he can't use both. But the solution is simple, just equip your minifig with power armor as such: Image
and make it count as a creation on its self. Now the energy shield would draw would draw it's energy from the power armor of size 0.5". The minfig would just be slowed down because he is wearing the power armor.

The only problem I would see with this would is that it would probably take an action to use the controls in the power armor to activate the shield. This could be solved by buying a cheap AI mind for the suitm or by just having the shield always on but this brings has it's downside of using to much power.

This is also aplyable for fantasy setting (as I know you like fatasy so much :)) The armor whould just be an enchanted armor and the AI a spirit that was cast into the armor.
Just some food for thought though.
stubby wrote:You were inb4beluga.

Gungnir
Jaw-Jaw

Post by Gungnir » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:32 pm

That wouldn't be very cost efficient, though.
BrikThulhu eats 1d6 minifigs each turn.

Rev. Sylvanus
Galidor
Galidor

Post by Rev. Sylvanus » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:30 pm

*CRAZYHORSE* wrote:I wouldn't round up or down and in that case I think that he can't use both. But the solution is simple, just equip your minifig with power armor as such
Some good ideas CrazyHorse. I was thinking though, if the 2.5" that result from an assault rifle and an energy shield combo means you can't use both, wouldn't that mean you shouldn't be able to use a Heavy CC weapon (1.5") and a shield (1") on the same turn?

And besides, I don't want power armor. I want my units of trans-blue-pauldron troopers to treat them as energy shields 8D....so I want to know if it works.

*CRAZYHORSE*
Mega Blok

Post by *CRAZYHORSE* » Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:49 am

Rev. Sylvanus wrote:
Some good ideas CrazyHorse. I was thinking though, if the 2.5" that result from an assault rifle and an energy shield combo means you can't use both, wouldn't that mean you shouldn't be able to use a Heavy CC weapon (1.5") and a shield (1") on the same turn?
You have got a point here. Now only stubby can awnser this.

Porphyrogenitus
Officer
Location: Aurora, Indiana, United States, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way

Post by Porphyrogenitus » Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:43 am

My impression is that shields are a special exception, since they can only be used to parry or to shove. This offensive limitation balances the ability to use them even with larger weapons than you normally would be able to duel-wield with.
0 Lord, save Thy people and bless Thine Inheritance. To our Rulers grant victories over the barbarians, and by Thy Cross protect Thine own Estate.