Let's Play: X-COM: UFO Defense

For all those games that happen to not be BrikWars

Moderators: Timedude, Olothontor

GeneralOfDeath
Cannon Fodder

Let's Play: X-COM: UFO Defense

Post by GeneralOfDeath » Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:24 pm

Hello, boys! I’m Baaaaaaaaaaaaccccckkkkkkk!

So, after waiting all through the last damn near year for you maniacs to say something worth replying to, I’ve decided to take matters into my own hands and do something worth talking about. So, in order to play GoD and breathe some life back into this site, I have decided to do something I have yet to see on this site and perform a Let’s Play. (If you have no idea what a Let’s Play is (probably because you haven’t opened a browser tab outside of BrikWars in five years), this will tell you the basics.)

Of course, this website being what it is, I chose the most :belushi: game I could think of to play: X-Com: UFO Defense.

Originally released in 1994 to the UK as UFO: Enemy Unknown, it later made its way to America after resolving legal issues arising from there already being a game by the name of UFO, and won over countless gamers with its deep tactical combat and permanent death rules, made even more personal by the ability to name your soldiers after friends and family.

Then 501st went on to make something behind my back, but he’s playing the sequel so it doesn’t really matter. Whereas his game will let you do all you RP stuff, this game is just here to get you killed.

But enough rambling! First watch the :666: intro, and let’s get started!

Of course, we need a game file.

Yes, we are playing on baby difficulty. Whywhywhy? Because:

1: I suck even at this difficulty.

2: The game resets to it anyway.

And with that, welcome to the geoscape, X-Com’s world map. From here we will blast UFOs out of the sky in glorious displays of fire (implied but not seen), and then send our minions to die horribly against the survivors. But first, we need to choose where to put our base.

That said, I’m going to put us here, just east of Berlin. This will give us radar and fighter coverage over all of Europe, where most of our funding comes from.

XCOM is how any real military would abbreviate Extraterrestrial Combat Unit, which is what X-Com is supposed to stand for. CENTEUR stands for Central Europe. Yes, this is how militaries name things.

Welcome, one and all, to our first base! Now those of you who have played this game probably just went [dammitcantfindavid]HOLD IT![/dammitcantfindavid] That’s not how the base was built! Let me explain. I am using (some) of the features of the XcomUtil mod, which fixes a few of the nastier bugs, and also gives us a base that gives us a fighting chance when we get invaded. Let’s take a look around, shall we?

So, ten each of scientists and engineers, and eight troops, none of which are listed as available because they are attached to the Skyranger.

See? There they are. Let’s take a look at them.

*Hrk!* Those names! They’re so… BORING! Names, people! Give me glorious names that we may give to our helpless lemmings!
Let's Play X-Com: UFO Defense

The New Guy's Guide to the Brikwars Forums

Threads Won: 1 2

Times Banned: 6

Time Banned: 4 Days 2 Hours

mgb519
My Little Pony

Re: Let's Play: X-COM: UFO Defense

Post by mgb519 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:49 pm

Sue Robinson (Male)
Tzan wrote:
Semaj Nagirrac wrote:Well, I took some land without checking if it was owned by a faction or not. I'm not going to be banned, am I? I can destroy everything if need be.
That's what Hitler said,
in 1938.

Silverdream
Nice use of noise

Post by Silverdream » Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:52 pm

Doge Barke
Wren Ghastman
Shoot Killington
Ace Gunfist
Ghost Spokygun
Gun Shootman
Mann Mannington
Silva Silversilvs
Knife Billions
Crash Bandicoot
This sig is too fucking large: show anyway
Image lol j/k

Arkbrik
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by Arkbrik » Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:42 am

Ellen Kataiser
Kathryn Ripley
Jules Barbicane
Miles Van Der Meer
Wikus Quaritch

Apollyon
Actually a decent human being. As far as I can tell anyway...

Post by Apollyon » Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:06 am

Just give them names of people on the Brikwars forum. It's fun. I did this as well about a year ago.
If you're not into Metal you are not my friend!

GeneralOfDeath
Cannon Fodder

Post by GeneralOfDeath » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:19 pm

Yeah, but you didn't have pictures.

mgb519
My Little Pony

Post by mgb519 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:00 pm

:owned:
Tzan wrote:
Semaj Nagirrac wrote:Well, I took some land without checking if it was owned by a faction or not. I'm not going to be banned, am I? I can destroy everything if need be.
That's what Hitler said,
in 1938.

GeneralOfDeath
Cannon Fodder

Post by GeneralOfDeath » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:31 pm

(First two digits are strength, second two are accuracy, and “R” indicates reactions of 55+)

So, there’s the first eight, renamed and ready to die in agony.

And two more are on their way, along with a remote-controlled tank.

Construction is now beginning, with an extra living quarters, storage area, laboratory, and an alien containment facility being built.

We also have ten new scientists inbound, as well as a decent chunk of ammunition. However, our storage space is now maxed, leaving us waiting on the expansion.

With that done, we return to the Geoscape, and as night prepares to fall upon Europe, humanity is watched over by its new guardians.

And already their mettle is put to the test.

They intend to prove themselves worthy.

Alas, after chasing their quarry across the Atlantic, it disappears over Texas. Stand and fight, you coward!

The rest of the night passes without incident, and the sun rises on Europe, still free of alien occupation.

Our ammunition shipment arrives in the middle of the day, but again no activity is detected.

And still nothing happens until the dawn of the fourth day, when our new personnel arrive.

Among them are the other two soldiers for our suicide squad.

This will be our weapon loadout for a standard mission.

Finally, a week later, we find another alien craft.

After managing to evade both our fighters, it sets down in England.

Fearing nothing, our courageous bloodsacks set out to settle the score with these sinister alien invaders.

Code: Select all

UFO 2
Fiday 8 Jan 1999, 0951Z
Central England
Sue Robinson, Doge Barke, Shoot Killington, Ace Gunfist, Ghost Spokygun, Gun Shootman, Man Mannington, Ellen Kataiser, Kathryn Ripley and Apollyon attending.

This will be the standard loadout for daylight missions.

Apollyon spawned with the rocket launcher, so I’ll let him hold onto it.

And Ellen will get the autocannon.

Oh, and it turns out Mann Mannington is a girl. Oops.

Once again, Apollyon gets a very good spawn.

The tank rolls off the ramp, and immediately finds the UFO.

Along with some buildings for the aliens to hide in.

Screw urban combat.

Building clear!

Sue Robinson: Oh Brikthulu!

Sue: Save me!

Not shown: Sue missing horribly.

There, that should make photography a little easier.

Ellen’s turn to play “shoot the alien”!

Not shown: My crappy excuse for reflexes.

Shoot Killington proceeds to show the others how to kill a damn alien.

Half of the team piles up at the base of the skyranger…

While the other half waits at the top of the ramp.

During the alien turn, I caught a glimpse of movement from this building. Guess what we’re going to do about that.

Not shown: The tank failing to kill the alien. So I decide to let Apollyon take a crack at it.

After three rockets and $6600, the most beautiful scream of agony erupts from the house. Two down.

X-Com: Lowering property values since 1999!

The squad then divides into an overwatch team and an assault team.

Sue moves into breach position, “covered” by Shoot, Mann and Ellen.

He takes a deep breath which fails to slow his racing heart, and…

:byzero:

Mann: Well, it was nice knowing you, Sue.

Shoot: Hey, he killed one!

Shoot: Sweet Brikthulu, he killed them both!

Sue: That’s right, :bitch: es!

Ellen: Wait, that one’s still alive.

*Blam*

Sue: Not anymore.

Code: Select all

Losses: None
I love this [dammitnolink]music[/dammitnolink]. There’s an element of triumph to it, but it is tempered by the memories of friends you lost, and the knowledge that you still have many more battles to face before your trial is over. It says to the player “Don’t forget the past, but enjoy the present, because there is a good chance your friends won’t be around in the future.”

Everyone who earns their first kill receives a promotion to squaddie rank, but notation only begins upon promotion to sergeant.

Well, if you ask me, I’d say that we’ve gotten off to a decent start. Our first mission went off without a hitch, and gave us plenty of goodies to play around with. We still need to work on our fighters, but on the ground, we are doing very well. I just wonder how long that’ll last.

mgb519
My Little Pony

Post by mgb519 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:44 pm

:tiger:
Tzan wrote:
That's what Hitler said,
in 1938.

knolli
Dimmy

Post by knolli » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:04 am

Some name suggestions for future recrutes:
Max Mustermann
Red Shirt
Bruce Vain

And a little "How not to suck at this game", if you want it:
  • Don't cluster your troops too close to each other or one single granade can result in a total party wipeout.
    That said: Use granades yourself. They are cheap and extremely versatile. And you can tear down walls with them as easily as with rockets for a much lower price.
    You can open doors by right clicking on them. That way you don't risk reflex fire.

Build more radar systems. At least two long range ones, but preferably four per base. They only have a limited chance to detect UFOs and you want to discover as many as possible. You can either have 50 UFOs in two years or shoot down 200 in only six months.
    As soon as you can, get more workshops and engineers. They can make you increadibly rich.
    You will need one or two additional bases focused on military: Hangars and living quarters, storage and containment units, radar and air defense and psi training when you get to it. Not much more. For research and production, it is more effective to have separate facilities with up to 200 researchers or engineers respectively.
    It pays off to have small, unmanned radar bases scattered around the globe (again with four or even more radar stations). If your air defense is tight enough, you won't have to fight off intruders often.
    Transport between the bases is hilariously cheap.
Ross_Varn wrote:Knolli is awesome.

GeneralOfDeath
Cannon Fodder

Post by GeneralOfDeath » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:32 pm

knolli wrote:Don't cluster your troops too close to each other or one single granade can result in a total party wipeout.
Known.
That said: Use granades yourself. They are cheap and extremely versatile. And you can tear down walls with them as easily as with rockets for a much lower price.
Also known.
You can open doors by right clicking on them. That way you don't risk reflex fire.
Requires a mod that only works on the Steam rerelease.
Build more radar systems. At least two long range ones, but preferably four per base. They only have a limited chance to detect UFOs and you want to discover as many as possible. You can either have 50 UFOs in two years or shoot down 200 in only six months.
Radar systems don't stack your odds of detection. If you have radar coverage of an area, you have a flat 30% chance per half hour to detect it. (Unless you're using late-game tech.)
As soon as you can, get more workshops and engineers. They can make you increadibly rich.
Never was fond of exploits (and don't tell me laser cannons aren't an exploit.)
You will need one or two additional bases focused on military: Hangars and living quarters, storage and containment units, radar and air defense and psi training when you get to it. Not much more. For research and production, it is more effective to have separate facilities with up to 200 researchers or engineers respectively.
Only one containment is ever needed, but yes I plan to have outposts in America and Asia, possibly more.
It pays off to have small, unmanned radar bases scattered around the globe (again with four or even more radar stations). If your air defense is tight enough, you won't have to fight off intruders often.
I'm thinking lightly garrisoned fighter bases out in the boonies, such as Australia.
Transport between the bases is hilariously cheap.
Noted.

ALSO: Anybody caught posting or lurking in this thread is subject to summary conscription into the X-Com forces.

Silverdream
Nice use of noise

Post by Silverdream » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:21 pm

It doesn't matter if I get conscripted, as long as my alts are safe.
This sig is too fucking large: show anyway
Image lol j/k

Apollyon
Actually a decent human being. As far as I can tell anyway...

Post by Apollyon » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:58 pm

Hey, i am doing well so far!
If you're not into Metal you are not my friend!

The Shadowscythe
Touch my cloud song and I will fuck you up
Touch my cloud song and I will fuck you up
Location: Llandysul, Ceredigion, Wales, U.K, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Universe.

Post by The Shadowscythe » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:07 am

GeneralOfDeath wrote:
Requires a mod that only works on the Steam rerelease.
Radar systems don't stack your odds of detection. If you have radar coverage of an area, you have a flat 30% chance per half hour to detect it. (Unless you're using late-game tech.)
I must ask why you are not using OpenXcom considering it ties all of the above mods into a far better package AND it gives you the ability to change you resolution and apply buttplugs to it (Xcom at 1280x1024 with AA filtering actually makes it pretty damn good for a game over 15 years old). Also the ability to open doors with a right click=A FUCKING GODSEND.

No idea how many lives that has saved so far.

Also - the radar detection glitch was fixed in both XcomUtil and OpenXcom so they do actually stack and are hella useful.

Just thought you ought to know. :omnom:
-- WARNINK -- LINK BELOW IZ KNOWN TO CAUZE HEMMORAGE --
Spoiler
Show

I WARNED YOU, DIDN'T I WARN YOU?! BLAME RAYHAWK DAMNIT.

GeneralOfDeath
Cannon Fodder

Post by GeneralOfDeath » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:22 pm

Thanks for the tips, and welcome to X-Com!