Dread fleet of the Immortals

Not Lego but still Lego.

Moderator: The Shadowscythe

Battlegrinder
Dimmy

Dread fleet of the Immortals

Post by Battlegrinder » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:16 pm

Since my efforts to upgrade some of the older Scythian ships have resulted in a direct increase in the fighting power of the anti-immortals, I figured I should go ahead and upgrade the Immortal fleet as well.

First ship up for a rebuild: The battleship.

It's a very old design, built by Scythe (I think). While the overall hull shape is good, the turrets need work, those antenna guns gotta go, and it doesn't seem to have a bridge.

After a little work, I've finished work on the new version:

I've increased the ship's length and beam, in addition to reworking the hull shape at the ship's stern. I've also added a bridge, using yellow glass to match the Naga cruiser Scythe built. The bridge's exposed placement is a symptom the Immortal's...I'd say arrogance, but that usually refers to unwarranted confidence. The Immortal Navy was an ancient and battle-hardened organization when many of the Immortal's current foes were still monkeys, and the countless millennia of combat experience has imparted a certain confidence. The bridge's placement here is intended as a message to the fleet's enemies, "Our shields and armor were venerable, highly developed technologies when you still had tails. Hit us with your best shot, we've weathered worse".

I doubled the number of engines, in addition to modifying the engine's design.

The tri-barreled plasma guns have been rebuilt into quad plasma guns, with a reworked mounting system to give them a wider range of motion. I've also borrowed the ion cannons off of the Naga to use a secondary armament, along with some black hole missiles. Despite the ship lossing a few turrets in the rebuild, the increased size of the quad guns means it actually hits a little bit harder than the previous version.

A view of the ship's ventral armament.

The hole on the front of the ship has been filled in and is now a spinal cannon (likely a black hole cannon/generator). This part of the ship is a WIP, and will likely be rebuilt once I design a standard black hole generator. I might rework those pod things along the ship's side as well, once I figure out what they are intended to be.

Comparison with MK I battleship and with MK V Monarch.

I'm still working on a system for the class designations of Immortal ships. My current plan is use a numerical system, with the first number indicating a ship's class size (1 = frigate, 2 = destroyer, 3 = light carrier, 4 = cruiser, 5 = battlecruiser, 6 = heavy carrier, 7 = battleship, 8 = dreadnought, 9 = other), and the second set of number indicating what version it is. For example, this ship would be the Type 714 Battleship (It should technically be the Type 72, but there were several earlier ships built over the thousands of years since the Empire's founding, and the Type 713 and 714 are just the latest two to be developed). I'd appreciate any feedback or advice you have regarding the current naming system.

Also, If anyone wants to work up a black hole weapon, I could use the help, as my own attempts to build one have proven fruitless.
Attachments
Immortal Battleship.lxf
(71.51 KiB) Downloaded 118 times

Gorthaff
Minifig

Re: Dread fleet of the Immortals

Post by Gorthaff » Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:01 pm

It lookes awesome, if a little bland. How about covering up the studs, and greebling it up? Also, did the monarch kinda become the standard for microspace?
I couldn't come up with anything smart, original or funny, so <=THIS=> is what you get.
ENJOY IT!!!

loafofcheese
Cannon Fodder

Post by loafofcheese » Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:46 pm

Gorthaff wrote:It lookes awesome, if a little bland. How about covering up the studs, and greebling it up? Also, did the monarch kinda become the standard for microspace?
Well, the monarch is a solid design, an average length, and has some interesting features so why not?
This is the way the world ends.
Not with a bang, but with a whimper.

Battlegrinder
Dimmy

Post by Battlegrinder » Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:29 pm

Gorthaff wrote:It lookes awesome, if a little bland. How about covering up the studs, and greebling it up? Also, did the monarch kinda become the standard for microspace?

I'm liking the semi-smooth design, so I think I'll stick with the current design as far as studs go. I did try to do some greebling, but nothing I built looked right (if you'd care to download the model and add some greeble, feel free to do so, though).

As for using the Monarch, I usually size my ships to Scythe's because since my faction is part of the Immortal Alliance, I'll want to keep them in scale with the ships of the Anti-immortal powers. Also, in this specific case, showing the Type 714 compared to the Monarch shows how outclassed the Scythians are, and why they've dakked up their ships to the current extent.

transformerj
Officer

Post by transformerj » Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:03 am

Battlegrinder wrote:
Gorthaff wrote:Also, did the monarch kinda become the standard for microspace?

As for using the Monarch, I usually size my ships to Scythe's because since my faction is part of the Immortal Alliance, I'll want to keep them in scale with the ships of the Anti-immortal powers. Also, in this specific case, showing the Type 714 compared to the Monarch shows how outclassed the Scythians are, and why they've dakked up their ships to the current extent.
So if the Monarch is the "standard" for microspace, are my Deadnocide Battleships out of scale and need to be reworked???
Spoiler
Show
An old Monarch i Believe
Immortal Battleship ( outdated now)
Spec-Ops Battleship
Support Battleship
Regular Battleship

Battlegrinder
Dimmy

Post by Battlegrinder » Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:14 am

transformerj wrote: So if the Monarch is the "standard" for microspace, are my Deadnocide Battleships out of scale and need to be reworked???
Spoiler
Show
An old Monarch i Believe
Immortal Battleship ( outdated now)
Spec-Ops Battleship
Support Battleship
Regular Battleship

The Monarch is my standard size. You're welcome to build in whatever scale you like, and judging by those pictures, your current ships are roughly the right to size to use in forum battles already.

Battlegrinder
Dimmy

Post by Battlegrinder » Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:35 pm

Ok, 2nd new ship is finished, the Type 608 Assault Carrier.

First, take a look at the Type 607:

The shape is a little rough, the engines are very old school, and the fighter bays lack the forcefields of modern designs.

And here's the Type 608:

it's got the new forcefields, along with a new-style bridge (I'm assuming the old bridges are now fighter control stations or some other function), along with a substantially increased weapon load.

The engines have also been upgraded.

Ventral armament.

Comparison with Type 607, Type 714, and Scythian Empress:

Silverdream
Nice use of noise

Post by Silverdream » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:07 pm

These ships look really nice, but the studs kill the look.
This sig is too fucking large: show anyway
Image lol j/k

Vami IV
blah blah swastikas kkk look how edgy I am
blah blah swastikas kkk look how edgy I am

Post by Vami IV » Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:55 pm

Silverdream wrote:These ships look really nice, but the studs kill the look.
I've been rebuilding the Immortal Battleship, and I think Battlegrinder is doing his best to un-fugly these ships.

dilanski
Now with added tractor fetish
Now with added tractor fetish

Post by dilanski » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:52 pm

I still believe the best way to rebuild the immortal fleet is...

V
E
R
T
I
C
A
L
L
Y
Spoiler
Show
Almond Status: ACTIVATED

loafofcheese
Cannon Fodder

Post by loafofcheese » Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:39 am

dilanski wrote:I still believe the best way to rebuild the immortal fleet is...

V
E
R
T
I
C
A
L
L
Y
Spoiler
Show