Second Annual BrikWars BrikFic Contest
Welcome to the coming end of another Rekonstruktion, BrikWarriors, as we prepare to dive into a two month long celebration honoring the Stories of the BrikVerse. We stand upon the precipice of time as our minifigs and sigfigs, creatures and creations, castles and kingdoms, and starships and space empires are cast into an ever evolving community Kanon. The deadly perils of countless battlefields, the twisted and labyrinthine halls of power and politiks, the epic struggles of Heroes and Villains. They fight and dance and collide together at the heart of our interest, the Stories of their sheer Ossumness demanding to be told. Told and, in the age old tradition, passed on to the next generation, shooting like brilliant stars through the bright imaginations of those yet to arrive. And in the telling, reigniting the old creative flame and giving rise to new Stories for the Rekons to come.
Those wishing to participate in the contest should submit an original short story via a new thread in the BrikFic Subforum between November 8, 2016 and December 31, 2016, including the identifier tag [BF16] in the title.
The entry should have a maximum of around 3000 words.
So long as the piece is set within the BrikVerse, the story may include any subject, theme, or style. Please keep in mind that the community approach to the BrikVerse is diverse and you should in no way feel pressured to base the story on existing canon, though you are still more than welcome to if you are so inclined.
Once the entry is submitted, the original post should not be edited. Exceptions to this rule may occur if the Judges unanimously agree.
Writers may submit more than one entry. Writers can only win one Reward, however, and only their highest scoring piece will count in this regard.
Participants should keep in mind that Presentation (a scoring category covering grammar, mechanics, punctuation, and usage) is not used in this contest as a regular scoring category, but rather as a tiebreaker category. The goal of this contest is to increase interest and celebrate storytelling within the BrikVerse, as well as hopefully inspire an uptake of BrikFics posted to the forum. Amateur authors are as welcome as veterans.
Judging of the entries will commence immediately following the contest, beginning January 1, 2017, and will end no later than January 9, 2017. The final scores will be announced and formalized in this thread on January 10, 2017.
For the 2016 Contest, the following are Judges:
- In absence of volunteers, Colette, Ham
- Concept and Theme -- The idea behind the story and its underlying meaning, what the story is about, and why it deserves to be told.
- Form -- The flow of the story, the framework that keeps it cohesive and the structure that drives the story forward. This includes the use of actions and events, as well as the pacing of the plot.
- Voice -- The clarity of characters and narration as they interact with the established plot, how compelling and unique they are, and how well they are revealed throughout the story.
- Style -- Overall quality of the writing, consistency of appropriate tone, use of clever ideas and general level of originality, and accessibility of emotional or cerebral engagement.
- TIEBREAKER CATEGORY--Presentation -- Proper grammar, mechanics, punctuation, and usage.
Judges may enter the contest as Participants (see above) but may not judge their own entries. Instead, the Secondary Judge will take their place in the scoring of those particular pieces.
The 1st Place Winner will gain full on bragging rights and join the ranks of our LoreMasters, those most excellent BrikWarsian storytellers and historians, lords of fact and fiction. They will also earn the unique custom badge pictured below, which will be pinned to the winning post and generally used however the winner sees fit (such as its inclusion into their forum signature).
- Vami IV, 2015
Enjoy the Festival! Happy Writing and, as always, Have Fun.
Go To: 2016 Entries, Final Scores, and Winner