Moderators: The Shadowscythe, Quantumsurfer

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

BrikFiction Festival 2016

Post by Quantumsurfer » Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:12 am

BrikFiction Festival 2016
Second Annual BrikWars BrikFic Contest

Welcome to the coming end of another Rekonstruktion, BrikWarriors, as we prepare to dive into a two month long celebration honoring the Stories of the BrikVerse. We stand upon the precipice of time as our minifigs and sigfigs, creatures and creations, castles and kingdoms, and starships and space empires are cast into an ever evolving community Kanon. The deadly perils of countless battlefields, the twisted and labyrinthine halls of power and politiks, the epic struggles of Heroes and Villains. They fight and dance and collide together at the heart of our interest, the Stories of their sheer Ossumness demanding to be told. Told and, in the age old tradition, passed on to the next generation, shooting like brilliant stars through the bright imaginations of those yet to arrive. And in the telling, reigniting the old creative flame and giving rise to new Stories for the Rekons to come.

Participants

Those wishing to participate in the contest should submit an original short story via a new thread in the BrikFic Subforum between November 8, 2016 and December 31, 2016, including the identifier tag [BF16] in the title.

The entry should have a maximum of around 3000 words.

So long as the piece is set within the BrikVerse, the story may include any subject, theme, or style. Please keep in mind that the community approach to the BrikVerse is diverse and you should in no way feel pressured to base the story on existing canon, though you are still more than welcome to if you are so inclined.

Once the entry is submitted, the original post should not be edited. Exceptions to this rule may occur if the Judges unanimously agree.

Writers may submit more than one entry. Writers can only win one Reward, however, and only their highest scoring piece will count in this regard.

Participants should keep in mind that Presentation (a scoring category covering grammar, mechanics, punctuation, and usage) is not used in this contest as a regular scoring category, but rather as a tiebreaker category. The goal of this contest is to increase interest and celebrate storytelling within the BrikVerse, as well as hopefully inspire an uptake of BrikFics posted to the forum. Amateur authors are as welcome as veterans.

Judges

Judging of the entries will commence immediately following the contest, beginning January 1, 2017, and will end no later than January 9, 2017. The final scores will be announced and formalized in this thread on January 10, 2017.

For the 2016 Contest, the following are Judges:
  • Duerer
  • Scratch
  • Vami
The following are Secondary Judges:
  • In absence of volunteers, Colette, Ham
Judges will read each entry and score it based on the following categories:
  • Concept and Theme -- The idea behind the story and its underlying meaning, what the story is about, and why it deserves to be told.
  • Form -- The flow of the story, the framework that keeps it cohesive and the structure that drives the story forward. This includes the use of actions and events, as well as the pacing of the plot.
  • Voice -- The clarity of characters and narration as they interact with the established plot, how compelling and unique they are, and how well they are revealed throughout the story.
  • Style -- Overall quality of the writing, consistency of appropriate tone, use of clever ideas and general level of originality, and accessibility of emotional or cerebral engagement.
  • TIEBREAKER CATEGORY--Presentation -- Proper grammar, mechanics, punctuation, and usage.
Each Judging Category is rated on a scale from 1-10, except Style, which is rated on a scale from 1-20. The scores from each category will be added together, with the exception of Presentation, for a single judge's Total Score of between 4 and 50. Total Scores are then added together to obtain a Final Score of between 12-150. The Presentation Scores will only be used in the event of a tie between entries. Judges are encouraged to keep an open, diverse mindset when judging entries as they are not inherently required to adhere to any particular interpretation of Kanon or individually preferred tone. In short, we all have a good general idea of what constitutes as Brikwarsy but a great many of us have some pretty different ideas about the specifics.

Judges may enter the contest as Participants (see above) but may not judge their own entries. Instead, the Secondary Judge will take their place in the scoring of those particular pieces.

Rewards

The 1st Place Winner will gain full on bragging rights and join the ranks of our LoreMasters, those most excellent BrikWarsian storytellers and historians, lords of fact and fiction. They will also earn the unique custom badge pictured below, which will be pinned to the winning post and generally used however the winner sees fit (such as its inclusion into their forum signature).

Existing LoreMasters

Enjoy the Festival! Happy Writing and, as always, Have Fun.

Go To: 2016 Entries, Final Scores, and Winner

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Re: BrikFiction Festival 2016

Post by Quantumsurfer » Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:27 pm

Who wants to be a judge?

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Post by Quantumsurfer » Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:15 pm

Anyone?

Board seems empty af recently. Even the Hellhunt only has a couple of entries a day before the deadline. I've seen it wither and grow over time plenty but this time of year usually sees a little bit of a resurgence. Odd.

Tzan
Has anyone ever used those holes before?
Has anyone ever used those holes before?

Post by Tzan » Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:46 pm

Warhead said:"I'm resurging all over the place. You may want to get a towel."

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Post by Quantumsurfer » Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:41 am

Hawt.

Duerer
Forum Champion 2016-2017
Forum Champion 2016-2017

Post by Duerer » Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:45 am

Quantumsurfer wrote:Anyone?

Board seems empty af recently. Even the Hellhunt only has a couple of entries a day before the deadline. I've seen it wither and grow over time plenty but this time of year usually sees a little bit of a resurgence. Odd.
That kinda baffles me, considering how successful last year's HH was. Btw, I think I could do judging duties for that one.
Winning Contest Entries
Show
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Battles and Stories and Stuff

Zupponn
if you give us money we will give you product

Post by Zupponn » Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:21 am

Three years ago there were only 3 submissions just like this year so far. Last year was a really good year with how many we had. It ebbs and flows.
Last edited by Zupponn on Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Shadowscythe
Touch my cloud song and I will fuck you up
Touch my cloud song and I will fuck you up
Location: Llandysul, Ceredigion, Wales, U.K, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Universe.

Post by The Shadowscythe » Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:59 pm

Just like Warheads Resurgences.
-- WARNINK -- LINK BELOW IZ KNOWN TO CAUZE HEMMORAGE --
Spoiler
Show

I WARNED YOU, DIDN'T I WARN YOU?! BLAME RAYHAWK DAMNIT.

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Post by Quantumsurfer » Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:52 pm

Yeah, and all the new contests did well too. Guess I kinda got hung up on the flow.

I had an idea for HH this year. The theme threw me a little but I finally came up with something, even if it was a little on the nose. I just haven't had the time or energy to get it set up.

And Judge added. Thanks for volunteering! I'll add myself as a judge again if I absolutely have to but I'd really, really rather not.

Vami IV
blah blah swastikas kkk look how edgy I am
blah blah swastikas kkk look how edgy I am

Post by Vami IV » Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:21 pm

This thread kind of makes me sad. I haven't even worked on my BF16 entry in a while

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Post by Quantumsurfer » Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:46 pm

It'll be fine. Work on your entry and submit it. I'll have the judges we need before the end. And the spice will eventually flow again. Buck up, buttercup. :wink:

Zupponn

Post by Zupponn » Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:47 am

Quantumsurfer wrote:I had an idea for HH this year. The theme threw me a little but I finally came up with something, even if it was a little on the nose. I just haven't had the time or energy to get it set up.
Yeah, maybe the theme scared people off, but I figured all you had to do was say, "It's Friday the 13th! Wouldn't it be my luck that today is the day the enemy attacks." That would have filled the requirement just fine.

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Post by Quantumsurfer » Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:12 am

Well, I mean, that and the fact that the theme was optional. I definitely didn't feel obligated or anything. I was just going to go with an older idea until I thought of something else.

Zupponn

Post by Zupponn » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:30 pm

Quantumsurfer wrote:Well, I mean, that and the fact that the theme was optional. I definitely didn't feel obligated or anything. I was just going to go with an older idea until I thought of something else.
Yes, it is optional, but it can hurt your score if it is completely ignored. The rules do state that it's use gets judged in the Overall Appeal category. I'm not sure if that is a good thing or not, but it's how it was set up both last year and this year.

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Post by Quantumsurfer » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:59 pm

Oh, shit, really? I misread that (or misremembered it). Maybe make the theme a tiebreaker/goodwill type thing? That way it matters but isn't restrictive.