What holds you back? (Lego Wise)

Also, butts.

Moderators: Blitzen, Almighty Benny, Falk

militaryfreak
Officer

What holds you back? (Lego Wise)

Post by militaryfreak » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:16 am

So question. when it comes to Lego, and your MOCs, what do you think is the biggest thing that holds you back? I feel like for me its lack of resources. I have the money, but I have no space to keep large amounts of lego for creativity, LDD only works to an extent, but I think what holds me back is lack of parts for actual physical building. What about you guys?
"The crashing arrival of a large stone does much to humble an arrogant foe"

cleanupcrew
Catastrophe Magnet

Re: What holds you back? (Lego Wise)

Post by cleanupcrew » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:14 am

Being at college or an internship for 90% of the year.

More seriously, I wish had more pieces "in bulk". Building gets difficult when it seems like all your pieces are unique (wheels of a car, limbs of a mech, legs of a spider tank, wings of a fighter, multiples of any vehicle). A lot of cool building techniques I see also require lots of certain basic pieces.

ninja_bait
I can make this man. I can let him touch the butt. I cannot promise his safety
I can make this man. I can let him touch the butt. I cannot promise his safety

Post by ninja_bait » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:49 am

I have a weird mental block against buying LEGO except in official sets. I have a few ideas that are stalled because I won't buy the specific parts on Bricklink or pick up lots on Craigslist and Ebay. This hurts my minifig collection most.

The other challenge is my technique toolbox. I tend to build stuff using my existing skills instead of trying to develop new skills. There's too many things that I don't know how to do.

Oh, and photography. I wish I could invest a little more in my setup and photo editing time.
I make apocalypses and apocalypse accessories.

motorhead fan
I want to climb on to thevengefulone, stick my tongue into his ear and ride him all the way to satan.

Post by motorhead fan » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:39 am

For me, it's money, I have ideas for tons of stuff (Factions, Infantry, giant insects, boats and more). And I might be able to afford some of it but I recently moved house to quite far away., so all my time is spent either in school or busses, so I don't have time for a student job and I don't want to blow all my money.

Quantumsurfer
Contest Manager
Contest Manager

Post by Quantumsurfer » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:33 pm

Money. Always money.

Venge
there are no brakes on the ban train

Post by Venge » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:13 pm

Honestly it doesn't really bother me that I can't afford more Lego beacuse I already have a ton, more than enough for my needs. What DOES bother me is my super religious (and batshit insane) mother, who once made me return a Lego Star Wars set I got as a gift because she doesn't like violence. Needless to say, she doesn't know about BW, and if she did she would probably blow a blood vessel. Hopefully in a year or two I can move out and take my Lego with me, but until then my armies have to hide in a shoebox in case she comes snooping into my stuff.
Formerly known as TheVengefulOne. Times banned by Natalya: 10 (+ 1 alt).

My BrikWars Stuff: http://brikwars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=16684

My Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/150398410@N07/

Duerer
Forum Champion 2016-2017
Forum Champion 2016-2017

Post by Duerer » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:29 pm

TheVengefulOne wrote:What DOES bother me is my super religious (and batshit insane) mother, who once made me return a Lego Star Wars set I got as a gift because she doesn't like violence.
lol mine's just glad that I found a hobby that I have fun with. Both of us are working as sacristans at our local church.
Winning Contest Entries
Show
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Battles and Stories and Stuff

Maraxous
Juggaloaf
Juggaloaf

Post by Maraxous » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:21 pm

Time, money, space, mostly space though. I can buy a little more lego than I should, because it's "for the kids" for "quality time". The space is harder with the wife being all like "Why are there plastic guys everywhere!" "Get these robots off the counter! Why are they fighting over the toaster anyway!" And trust when you say "BECAUSE BRIKWARS THATS WHY!" Is never the right answer.

Quantumsurfer
Contest Manager
Contest Manager

Post by Quantumsurfer » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:24 pm

Maraxous wrote: never the right answer.
She knew what she was getting into.

piltogg
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by piltogg » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:45 pm

lack os sufficient space to put built things; leads to lack of motivation to build things which must be destroyed almost immediately thereafter.

Scribonius
Nice TRIPS

Post by Scribonius » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:07 pm

Three things.

1: Lack of time. I work 40 hours a week, cannot drive due to medical issues so I have to take the bus (add another 10-12 hours a week of commute time, but at least I get to read or surf the net on my phone during that time), and own a house, so have to spend time maintaining that. Plus (blasphemous, I know) I do have OTHER hobbies, which leads us to:

2: A.D.D. I have a mild form of Attention Deficit Disorder, mixed with an odd blend of O.C.D. Basically, I get distracted REALLY easily, and find it hard to focus on things for long periods of time. I'll have no problems focusing on a given hobby for a while, but then something WILL come along and distract me, and then whups, no more time for hobby X, need to work on hobby Z, or Q, or ~.

3: cults. Seriously, cults. We have three of them. They're cute, as the internet shows them to be, and like attention. The problem is that two of our cults have something called Feline Pika (nothing to do with Pokemon). Basically, they like to eat things that aren't food. Like, say, Lego. When I'm not actively using it, I have to keep everything inside cabinets with doors that latch, or up in areas the cults can't get to, and being cults that latter category isn't an easy one to find.

Edit: HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! The forum changes the word that refers to animals of the feline persuation into cult. HAHAHA! Does kind of describe owning them... :lol:

cleanupcrew
Catastrophe Magnet

Post by cleanupcrew » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:30 pm

piltogg wrote:lack os sufficient space to put built things; leads to lack of motivation to build things which must be destroyed almost immediately thereafter.
Build it, brikwar with it, hopefully destroy it in the course of brikwarring. Then it will at least have served a greater cause.

Venge
there are no brakes on the ban train

Post by Venge » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:55 pm

Cults love Lego, I have an Atlantis trident that is now a bident because of cults. Althought it kinda looks cooler now, more unique . . .
Formerly known as TheVengefulOne. Times banned by Natalya: 10 (+ 1 alt).

My BrikWars Stuff: http://brikwars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=16684

My Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/150398410@N07/

dilanski
Now with added tractor fetish
Now with added tractor fetish

Post by dilanski » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:12 pm

It'll be nothing come my first payday on the 21st.

APOCALYPSE TANKS HERE WE COME!
Almond Status: ACTIVATED

Kastrenzo
all I have is anthrax and rage
all I have is anthrax and rage

Post by Kastrenzo » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:53 am

time and energy. I have been trying to sort out my loose bricks for over a year, bought a $400 industrial shelving unit and was making progress until I became so busy with work that by the time I come home I just flop on the couch or get on my computer and vegetate the rest of the night
Faction Index - Flickr Gallery

You can't ride a scooter when you're drunk and 9 years old.