[RK19] Meanwhile, in the M.O.J....

The Magic SOB forum is for posts of story sequences that are frequently vignette-based. Put those here while actual battle reports can go in Reports From the Field.
You must talk like James T. Kirk in this forum at all times. Leonard Nimoy is fine too.

Moderators: Zahru II, Thesson, Magic Soap

Scribonius
Nice TRIPS

[RK19] Meanwhile, in the M.O.J....

Post by Scribonius » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:20 pm

Doctor Zymeski frowned as his picto-scry began to ding. "Why does that always happen when I'm about to make my lunch?" Shoving his pizza into the toaster oven, he grabbed his can of Dew and walked over to his desk. "Yes, yes, I'm coming!" Sitting down, he swiped a pair of fingers across the crystalline screen in a certain pattern, bringing the image into focus. "Zymeski here. Oh, Agents L and M! I haven't heard from you in a while! How are things down on Julian progressing?"

Picking up his soda, he popped the top and took a long swig as his agents reported in. Technomagery was a fairly advanced science to members of the Menagerie's Observational Jurists, and the only kind of long-range communication that still worked down to the surface of the planet now that the Nega-Blok Trix's warp portal had corrupted the timeline and forced the surface back to late-Renaissance tech levels.
"Things aren't going well at all," Agent M replied. "The time we have long dreaded has come to pass! The Yelpilz are building pylons faster than we can knock them down!"
Zymeski took another sip from his Dew and frowned. "Well, that isn't good. How bad is it?"
"Pretty bad, Magus," Agent L blurted sternly. "At this rate, they'll have a full portal open by the end of the year, if not sooner. We need to start evacuation plans for all the lesser races down here."
Setting his can of Dew down, Zymeski shook his head and reached for a book.

Flipping through the pages, he came to the entry he needed. "I'm afraid that is no longer possible. There will be no evacuation. Due to other events happening in the multiverse, protocol dictates that we must declare Exterminatus on the planet."
"What?" Agent M appeared in the pict viewer, a look of shock on her face. "We can't just abandon these people! They've been serving in our military for centuries! They trust us to support them in this kind of emergency!"
"Cannot be done," the Magus replied, slamming the book shut. "What do you know about the Brootalz?"
"Brootalz?" M glanced over at L and shrugged. "They were some big warmongering faction back during the time of the Imperium. What about them?"
"They're back. We have already been forced to initiate decimation on our orc and goblinoid allies, for fear that they might join them. Trust me when I say there will be NO evacuation, for them, or for you. The Menagerie thanks you for your services over the years. Know that your families will... well, to be honest, we're prepping for a massive invasion, so they'll likely be dead soon anyway. You've got a week before we destroy the planet. Goodbye, and good luck."
That said, the Doctor cut the transmission and wiped the datafile from his Magicore Computational Machine. "Guess I better go order that Exterminatus Protocol." Just then, the oven dinged. "After my lunch," he added with a smile.

Down on the surface, hidden in a cavern away from prying eyes, Agents M and L looked at each other nervously. "What does he mean, they can't risk the orcs joining the Brootalz?" she asked L. Grimacing, Agent L sighed. "The orcs are the remnants of the last Brootalz invasion. The Imperium under Emperor Julian beat them back, managed to force them to retreat, and the captives were imprisoned down here on the planet." "Okay, that makes sense. Only, what do we do now?"

Agent L frowned and considered their options. "I think there's only one thing we can do. Consult the Oracle.

A week later, members of the Menagerie's Observational Jurists (the real name of the MOJ, but everyone called it the Menagerie of Julian anyway) met in council as they prepared to enact Exterminatus on the planet below. Everything had been going according to plan, with one unusual exception. In the week since Exterminatus was declared, many of the Agents and Adventurers on the planet below had stopped communicating with the Jurists. Whole areas of the planet were suddenly devoid of the different non-Legonian races that had been imprisoned below on the surface. But with less than a week until destruction, nobody paid it any thought. Seconds before it was destroyed, the Nega-Blok Trix emerged from the completed hell portal, pylons throughout the planet crackling with Negablok energy and surveyed her new world.

Then she looked up, saw the planet-killer ship Exterminatus Protocol and swore. She dove back into the portal just as the massive planet-killed ship fired. Soon, planet Julian was no more, just a crumbling pile of rocks spreading through the system as a new asteroid belt with the occasional almost-unkillable Yelpilz clinging to a rock in zero-gravity...

ninja_bait
I can make this man. I can let him touch the butt. I cannot promise his safety

Re: [RK19] Meanwhile, in the M.O.J....

Post by ninja_bait » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:48 pm

:omnom:

I hope this is going somewhere, because it's pretty interesting.

Also very good job not letting the CLOan's in through Julian - that's next year's event :wink:
I make apocalypses and apocalypse accessories.

Kommander Ken
an avid fan of large round cannons

Post by Kommander Ken » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:33 pm

Oh yes I love where this is going. MOOOOAAARRR!

Scribonius
Nice TRIPS

Post by Scribonius » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:17 pm

Kommander Ken wrote:Oh yes I love where this is going. MOOOOAAARRR!
Ah, but more of WHAT?

There are three thread paths to follow. Which would you prefer?
1: Follow the remnants of the M.O.J. as it breaks apart during the Brootalz invasion?
2: Follow the events on the planet and find out where the Agents, Adventurers, and non-Legonians went?
or
3: See what the surviving non-Legonian races in space do now that the M.O.J. has issued the Decimation Protocol on the eve of the Brootalz invasion?

Scribonius
Nice TRIPS

Post by Scribonius » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:21 pm

ninja_bait wrote::omnom:

I hope this is going somewhere, because it's pretty interesting.
Why thank you! It should go somewhere, once I figure out which path to follow.
ninja_bait wrote:Also very good job not letting the CLOan's in through Julian - that's next year's event :wink:
Really? You know, if someone had TOLD me that, I could have held off on the Exterminatus until next year! (joking)

Kommander Ken

Post by Kommander Ken » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:31 pm

Scribonius wrote:
Ah, but more of WHAT?

There are three thread paths to follow. Which would you prefer?
1: Follow the remnants of the M.O.J. as it breaks apart during the Brootalz invasion?
2: Follow the events on the planet and find out where the Agents, Adventurers, and non-Legonians went?
or
3: See what the surviving non-Legonian races in space do now that the M.O.J. has issued the Decimation Protocol on the eve of the Brootalz invasion?
:all:

Scribonius
Nice TRIPS

Post by Scribonius » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:33 pm

Kommander Ken wrote: :all:
I will see what I can do. :twisted:

Scribonius
Nice TRIPS

Post by Scribonius » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:45 pm

Scribonius wrote:
Kommander Ken wrote: :all:
I will see what I can do. :twisted:
Hmm... I am still going to try to get shit done, but it is going to be a few weeks before I can. My wife is between temp jobs for a few weeks and insists I have to do things with (and sometimes to) her when that happens. :warhead:

ninja_bait

Post by ninja_bait » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:49 am

This isn't really a battle so it's going to score low. If it was a soap contest entry, it would do pretty well. Pretty engaging story that fits the Ragnablok theme and ties up lots of canonical ends, while introducing new characters that are instantly interesting.

Fun - 5
Violence - 2
Photography - 7
Writing - 7
Story - 9

Scribonius
Nice TRIPS

Post by Scribonius » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:02 pm

ninja_bait wrote:This isn't really a battle so it's going to score low. If it was a soap contest entry, it would do pretty well. Pretty engaging story that fits the Ragnablok theme and ties up lots of canonical ends, while introducing new characters that are instantly interesting.

Fun - 5
Violence - 2
Photography - 7
Writing - 7
Story - 9
Meh, given the crap that happened IRL, I'm not surprised. I had intended to follow this up with a battle report but life intervened. I'm still going to DO the battle report, but it'll be a few more weeks. :evil:

ninja_bait

Post by ninja_bait » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:13 pm

Scribonius wrote:Meh, given the crap that happened IRL, I'm not surprised. I had intended to follow this up with a battle report but life intervened. I'm still going to DO the battle report, but it'll be a few more weeks. :evil:
Awesome! Looking forward to it!

Kommander Ken

Post by Kommander Ken » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:34 pm

Fun: 5
Violence: 1
Photography: 7
Writing: 10

EDIT: Story: 8

Not much to say here that wouldn't be repeating what Ninja said. I'm super intrigued by the story you're developing here and do hope you continue this.
Last edited by Kommander Ken on Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Itsjustaguy
Champion
Champion

Post by Itsjustaguy » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:02 pm

Fun I enjoyed this snippet, pretty fun read overall 10
Violence I mean technically, we are talking about violence on the scale of planetary destruction, but like it was hypothetical and not shown :( 6
Photography Well done, 9
Writing 9

Edit Story 9
RealHumanTM