The 2,019 Hundred Piece Hullabaloo

Show off your armies and weaponry and stuff.

Moderators: Zahru II, Bragallot, RedRover, Natalya

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Post by Quantumsurfer » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:04 pm

Third Annual BrikWars Konstruktion Contest

In the month of September, all across the Legitimitium MultiVerse, ABS and established parts grow mysteriously rare. Building slows and, as it does, minifigs all over the BrikVerse begin to lose their grip on reality. They panic. They riot. It's really just another excuse to beat the snot out of one another. Some point to the sudden appearance of massive SHIPs during this month as a correlation but many BrikVersian scientists are dismissive, citing a favorite adage that correlation is not causation. Perhaps they are right or perhaps they are covering for their governments. Either way, for the average minifig, it's just another reason to pick up a pitchfork. Maddened, howling minifigs the BrikVerse over frantically scramble to tear up as many briks as they can find and assemble some kind of reality out of them. Mechaniks and Konstruktion Workers who have let their little contractual projects and sites sit untended for the entire year suddenly get all their work done this month and collect overtime pay for doing it. Like a busy hive, minifigs swarm creation, desperate to do anything at all to avoid the existential despair of endless blank baseplates and massive bugger off starships in their skies.

Participants

Participants will each create one or more "builds," in real bricks or in LDD, composed of one hundred (100) pieces or less, and capture a comprehensive set of images that show it off. A "build" can be anything from a microscale vignette to a small fleet of ships to a mecha. Anything at all. Build whatever the hell you want. The Judges will have their own views on what constitutes a complete build and that will show in their scoring, particularly in Style and Substance. Please post anywhere from 1-10 images. If building LDD, participants should include an .lxf file. If building IRL, participants should include a parts breakdown image in their photo set. Simply create something BrikWarsy, preferably something that references the rulebook, the lore (community or official), and/or the history.

Those wishing to participate in the contest should submit an original build via a new thread in the Armoury forum between September 2, 2019 and September 30, 2019, including the identifier tag [HPH19] in the title.

Participants may submit more than one entry. Contestants can only win one Reward, however, and only their highest scoring piece will count in this regard.

Entries may represent any BrikWars tone, style, etcetera. The BrikVerse is a wildly diverse setting and the purpose of this contest is to encourage more awesome new content.

Judges

Judging of the entries will commence immediately following the contest, beginning October 1, 2019, and will end no later than October 7, 2019. The final scores will be announced and formalized in this thread on October 8, 2019.

For the 2019 Contest, the following are Judges:
  • ninja_bait
  • MadMario
  • Falk
The following are Secondary Judges:
  • AnnoyedZebra
Judges will view each entry and score it based on the following categories:
  • Style -- Relating to the concept of the build, the inventiveness and creativity of the build, particularly any NPU, the technical skill with which the concept is rendered recognizable to the audience.
  • Substance-- Relating to the mechanics of the build, the viability and efficiency of its construction, the actual depth of the piece and the balance between what it conveys and the materials it uses to convey it. The scale and/or the detail of the build are judged here.
  • Photography-- Quality of the build's photography, the use of clean lighting and clear pictures, the capture of the purpose of the piece such that it is clearly conveyed to the audience. Also included in this category is the inclusion and quality of the LXF file if built in LDD or the inclusion and quality of the parts breakdown image(s) if built IRL.
  • Story, Tie-Breaker Category-- A picture is worth a thousand words. Be brief and use some of them to caption or provide background story to your images. Keep in mind the theme of the contest: Minifigs going nuts everywhere.
Each Judging Category is rated on a scale from 1-10. The scores from each category will be added together, with the exception of Story, for a Total Judge Score of between 3 and 30. Total Judge Scores are added together to rate the creation for a Final Score.

The Story Score will only be used in the event of a tie between entries.

Judges are encouraged to keep an open, diverse mindset when judging entries as they are not inherently required to adhere to any particular interpretation of Kanon or individually preferred tone. In short, we all have a good general idea of what constitutes as Brikwarsy but a great many of us have some pretty different ideas about the specifics.

Judges may enter the contest as Participants (see above) but may not judge their own entries. Instead, the Secondary Judge will take their place in the scoring of those particular pieces.

Rewards

The participant with the highest Final Score will achieve 1st place, winning the contest, joining the pantheon of BrikWars StudGods, and gaining full on bragging rights. They will also earn a unique custom badge, which will be pinned to the winning post and generally used however the winner sees fit (such as its inclusion into their forum signature).

Enjoy the Buildoff! Happy BrikBuilding and, as always, Have Fun.

Go To: 2019 Entries, Final Scores, and Winners

ninja_bait
I can make this man. I can let him touch the butt. I cannot promise his safety

Re: The 2,019 Hundred Piece Hullabaloo

Post by ninja_bait » Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:41 am

Sign me up to judge!
I make apocalypses and apocalypse accessories.

MadMario
Purism Prometheus
Purism Prometheus

Post by MadMario » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:05 am

I can judge, too.
Compendium of my works
ImageImageImage
More Badges
Show
ImageImageImageImage

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Post by Quantumsurfer » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:50 pm

I just need one more primary and one more secondary judge, please.

Falk
Oh no whatever will we do without the buttplugs

Post by Falk » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:02 pm

I can do it
BrikWars 2010 Rules wrote:BrikWars ... stands in pretty direct opposition to many fundamental elements of the LEGO® philosophy, such as "Not Teaching Kids How Funny It Is to Set People on Fire."
Empire of Luchardsko WIP wiki page

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Post by Quantumsurfer » Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:44 pm

11ish more days in the contest. Get those entries in. Only a hundred pieces or less, it's tablescraps, let's see what you can do.

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Post by Quantumsurfer » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:40 pm

Today's the last day for the Hullabaloo! Get those last minute entries in if you got em!

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Post by Quantumsurfer » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:15 pm

The contest is now concluded. Judges, please commence judging.

ninja_bait

Post by ninja_bait » Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:20 pm

Done!
I make apocalypses and apocalypse accessories.

MadMario
Purism Prometheus
Purism Prometheus

Post by MadMario » Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:28 am

whoops. finished judging 3 hrs early... dammit time shift.
Compendium of my works
ImageImageImage
More Badges
Show
ImageImageImageImage

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Post by Quantumsurfer » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:32 pm

You're all good, I think you got all the entries.

Falk

Post by Falk » Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:29 pm

I’ll be doing my judging tomorrow or friday
BrikWars 2010 Rules wrote:BrikWars ... stands in pretty direct opposition to many fundamental elements of the LEGO® philosophy, such as "Not Teaching Kids How Funny It Is to Set People on Fire."

Falk

Post by Falk » Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:01 pm

Done

MadMario
Purism Prometheus
Purism Prometheus

Post by MadMario » Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:41 am

Falk wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:01 pm
Done
Almost. You forgot spacebunnys Minaglacia Robot :rtfm:
Compendium of my works
ImageImageImage
More Badges
Show
ImageImageImageImage

Falk

Post by Falk » Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:49 am

Yeah, the forums ate it.