Share your tales of battle and mayhem

Moderators: Moronstudios, Zupponn, Killer Karetsu

MadMario
Purism Prometheus
Purism Prometheus

[HH19] W.I.T.C.H.-hunt

Post by MadMario » Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:05 am

Prologue here

On Striga - a Planet in the Hex system - the ancient Witches of the Brikverse met after centuries to summon an unspoken evil. At the same time several factions arrived at the spot for a secret meeting of Warlords Intending To Control Hex. Also some Construction Workers and a StarCorps squad show up. What will happen next?

Overwatch

- There are 12 teams with 3 pretty standard units each, and 5 witches with the stats of heroes.
- 6 teams are fighting against the witches, the other 6 teams have been cursed and now serve the witches.

Main goals:
-The 6 teams try to stop the witches and their servants from completing their ritual.
-The cursed defend the witches and attack the 6 teams.
-The witches want to complete their ritual to summon something really evil.

While the witches mumble their spells and put potions into the cauldron, several strange things can happen on the battlefield. To determine what that is, and to bring a little fun and randomness to the battle, I invented the...

Wheel of the Witches!

How it works: The wheel is spun and points to a symbol on the outer ring. for several actions it is spun again to determine directions with the inner ring.

Each symbol has its own effect. For later use they can be exchanged and other actions can be defined.

from left to right the actions are:
-Spell cast! (x2) the witches proceed in their summoning (a stud is put in the cauldron, 5 studs mean: the witches win!)
-Fire! (x2) a random fire spawns in 2d6 inches range of the cauldron, direction determined by spinning the wheel again!
-Lightning! (x2) a lightning (1d10 dmg) strikes from the cauldron, direction determined by spinning the wheel again!
-Spicy! (x2) nothing special, the witches put some flavour to the cauldron. No effect.
-Teleport! (x1) a random figure (chosen with the coloured dice) is teleported 2d6 inches away from its position, direction determined by spinning the wheel again. If the figure would leave the battlefield this way, it dies.
-Oink! (x1) a random figure (chosen with the coloured dice) is turned into a pig.
-Cake! (x1) a cake appears in 2d6 inches range from the cauldron. What`s it good for? Dunno, had the tile and some cakes, wanted to see where that leads ;)
-Exitus! (x1) a random figure (chosen with the coloured dice) dies instantly. period.

At the beginning of each turn, the wheel is spun and the action is executed. Then the coloured dice determine which team`s turn it is. One die has the 6 colours of the teams, the other has black and white sides, together they determine which side of the team can act as next. I know this can lead to teams getting several turns in a row and others getting no action, but hey, I thought it could be fun!

So, let`s get it started!

The Witches Wheel has no effect (Spicy!).The dark grey die determines IMA-Mercenaries, the white die that it`s the "original" teams turn (black die is the witches` servants).

1 Merc hides cowardly behind a rock, 2 Mercs open fire, both hit, one with an unlucky 4, the other...

...with a 6, getting an additional 6 and a 3, doing 15 dmg to his target...

Phantom soldier bursts into pieces!

Witches Wheel does a "Spicy!" again... then it`s StarWraiths turn. They use grenade launchers (1d10) on different opponents, one misses, one hits, only causing knockback, not overcoming the Heavy armor.

The Wheel points to "Exitus!"

the dice determines the pumpkinmen. which of them I decide with a d6 (1-2 left, 3-4 middle, 5-6 right)

InstaDeath!

Phantom Soldiers turn. Both shoot nearest merc, both hit with acceptable dmg rolls...

...taking out both Mercs.
Compendium of my works
ImageImageImage
More Badges
Show
ImageImageImageImage

Duerer
Forum Champion 2016-2017
Forum Champion 2016-2017

Re: [HH19] W.I.T.C.H.-hunt

Post by Duerer » Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:31 am

Interesting wheel and die mechanics actually
Winning Contest Entries
Show
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Battles and Stories and Stuff

MadMario
Purism Prometheus
Purism Prometheus

Post by MadMario » Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:33 am

Zombie Soldiers turn. They forgot how to use guns, and also developed a serious appetite for braiiins. They bear down the nearest PDF-Soldier and try to eat him.

Nothing on the Wheel. StarCorps turn. They demonstrate the Wraiths how to use combined attacks to overcome heavy armor.

Spell Cast! A brick is added to the cauldron! 4 to go!

Fire Demons all use their little Flamethrowers on the MagnaCorp troop. 1 critfails to set himself on fire, the others hit their targets...

...setting the MagnaCorp on fire!

PDF Soldiers try to kill the zombies, two critical hits, the other even manages to shoot off a gnarling zombie`s leg. PDF Soldier luckily withstands contagious bites, he may stay a human!

Random fire appears.

MagnaCorp Soldiers: One rolls on the ground to extinguish the fire, the Captain refuses to do so and rather shoots back at the demons while losing an arm to the fire! The dmg rolls speak of bloody revenge!

2 fire demons gone, one standing.

The Wheel pointed to "Teleport!", the second spin shows west, the dice determine that a StarCorp Trooper is teleported 9 inches in that direction.

*plop* - "What the...?"
Compendium of my works
ImageImageImage
More Badges
Show
ImageImageImageImage

MadMario
Purism Prometheus
Purism Prometheus

Post by MadMario » Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:32 am

StarWraith is on it again. They learned about combined attacks, yet they fail to use the grenade launchers and only use the shotguns. with one die removed and a poor 2 rolled, the StarCorps Trooper stays alive.

The Witches Wheel has warmed up obviously. "Oink!" is shown! The dice choose one of the plant demons!

*PLÖPP!* --- "...Oink!"

Phantom Soldiers combine attacks on the last Merc...

...sending him to oblivion. IMA- Mercenaries defeated!

"Spell cast!" - Another brick is added to the cauldron.

Plant demons vs. EnviroCorp. troop. Flesh-eating plant uses its whiplash arms effectively, killing one. Flower pig does what he can. That`s not much. And also we have a CACTUS DEATH HUG!

"Spell Cast!" on the Wheel! a third brick goes into the Cauldron! MagnaCorp Captain (still on fire) and one of his soldiers combine attacks on the last Fire Demon, killing him in a flaming burst worth seeing. Captain loses his leg to the fire. "Was totally worth it!" Fire Demons defeated!

...and a fourth time "Spell Cast!" shows up on the Wheel...

...witch err... which means 4 of 5 bricks in the Cauldron! Should I set the level up to 8 or 10? I decide not to do so and let things happen as the Wheel and dice decide it!

EnviroCorp`s last Soldier stands against the Plant (and Pig) Demons. Critfailing his use roll, he obviously decided to exchange his gun with the Plantpig`s Powerflower. Whatever...

The wheel has spoken: a random cake appears!

StarCorps gets a chance to clean up. They fire grenades between the Wraiths, who stand close enough together to both profit from the explosion radius. Good dmg rolls and an overskill benny...

...leads to both Wraiths being killed by the grenades. StarWraiths defeated!
Compendium of my works
ImageImageImage
More Badges
Show
ImageImageImageImage

MadMario
Purism Prometheus
Purism Prometheus

Post by MadMario » Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:28 pm

Another "Exitus!" spun by the Wheel. This time it hits one of the regular construction workers...

"Hey guys, I don`t feel so good..." --- *clatter*

On MagnaCorps turn, the soldiers pat out the flames on their Captains` limbs, consuming their actions.

Wheel spins yet another "Spicy!" (Note to self: next time no symbol on the wheel that doesn`t do anything.)
StarCorps comes to operation. the two soldiers pick up the rifles dropped by the wraiths and storm up the stairs.

2 out of 4 grenade launchers are able to fire. They deal enough damage to rip a hole in the cauldron`s defense wall, witch ...oh man... which also knocks back Brooma, the herbal master, who stood right behind that wall.

Brooma gets back up and tries a heroic feat to restore the wall segment, therefore the witches`action is used up, and the wheel is not spun this turn. But Brooma fails, and so nothing happens.

Zombie soldiers again try to eat braiiins. Critical success makes them gnaw off the whole soldier`s meat in no time. Disgusting. Who`s hungry?

Speaking of hungry: another "Oink!" on the wheel! This time it hits an EnviroCorp soldier. With only one of them left alive, the decision who gets transformed is easy this time...

*PLÖPP!* --- "...Oink!"

Construction workers finally get to it, too. One storms directly to a pumpkinman, swinging his pickaxe toward his head (using an angry inch and a half, to be honest...)
The other one starts running, but is too far away. he builds up momentum for his next turn.
"That`s for Billy, you bastard!" --- "His name was Barry." --- "Whatever!"

uh, oh...! The fifth "Spell cast!" is spun. One last brick is added to the cauldron. Then...

The cauldron starts bubbling and quickly boils over... The witches cheer and giggle maliciously...

...then all of a sudden they disappear, their laughter echoing through the valley. As soon as theyre away, the cursed factions` units all fall where they are, leaving the remaining troops alone with the boiling cauldron.

Witches win the battle!
Compendium of my works
ImageImageImage
More Badges
Show
ImageImageImageImage

MadMario
Purism Prometheus
Purism Prometheus

Post by MadMario » Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:51 pm

Epilogue

The cauldron boils over heavily, the ground starts to shake. Strange glowing lights come out of the liquid.
The noise and tremors rise, it seems like it`s going to explode any second! Then...

*Fnop* - a minifigure suddenly pops up where the cauldron was seconds before. Seperate from the strange utensils he holds in his hands he looks rather... regular.

All the remaining minifigs get this typical "wtf?"- expression on their faces. Except the pigs. They found cake.

But just as everyone overcame their astonishment, another rumbling sets in. the minifig starts to shake and...

*FFOOOOOOOOMMMMMP!* - all of a sudden the tiny minifig grows to a 20 inch tall giantfig! These monsters have only been rumoured to exist, but no one believed in the stories - until now!

StarCorps Captain: "Delta squad to base, we have a problem. A big problem. Our mission has failed in a way that was not to be expected IN ANY FRIGGIN` WAY! Send reinforcements!!!"

And so the Witches of the Brikverse caused Havoc on the planet Striga, keeping the factions busy for a while, setting schemes in motion that no one can see through by now...

The end
Compendium of my works
ImageImageImage
More Badges
Show
ImageImageImageImage

ninja_bait
I can make this man. I can let him touch the butt. I cannot promise his safety
I can make this man. I can let him touch the butt. I cannot promise his safety

Post by ninja_bait » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:53 am

The wheel is super cool! And that ending is an :byzero: moment for sure.
I make apocalypses and apocalypse accessories.

Kommander Ken
an avid fan of large round cannons
an avid fan of large round cannons

Post by Kommander Ken » Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:01 am

Gameplay - 5/5 - This battle had a really cool gimic with the wheel and the giantfig at the end. Well done!'

Photography - 3.5/5 - There are some dark spots but nothing that interrupts the blow of the report.

Violence - 4/5 - Zombies eating brains, soliders exploding, classic hellhunt/brikwars stuff!

Writing - 4/5 - Clear and descriptive, but could use some dialogue. Just a personal gripe though!

Overall Appeal - 4/5 - Solid entry!

Zupponn
if you give us money we will give you product
if you give us money we will give you product

Post by Zupponn » Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:15 pm

Gameplay - 5
Photography - 4
Violence - 5
Writing - 4
Overall Appeal - 5

The spinner added an extra level of gameplay that seemed pretty fun. I like it!

RedRover
I want you to be
I want you to be

Post by RedRover » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:40 pm

Gameplay - 4.5/5 fun elements with the witches, dice, and big boi at the end

Photography - 4/5 Solid photography

Violence - 4/5 Good amount of violence, but I always enjoy over the top for Hellhunts especially

Writing - 4/5 Story is great! I’d be interested to see if this leads to something

Overall Appeal - 4.5/5 I enjoyed this and hope to see more and more from you!

kaiser bufanda
Nice Dubs
Location: utilizing an discarding-sabot kinetic energy penetrator against soviet armour

Post by kaiser bufanda » Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:41 pm

:tiger:
ninja_bait wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:43 pm
Violence 3.5 - not enough interaction, too many survivors
:wtc: have I gotten myself into :shock:
my army
https://brikwars.com/forums/viewtopic.p ... 17#p364817