The 2,020 Blarney Build

Show off your armies and weaponry and stuff.

Moderators: Zahru II, Bragallot, RedRover, Natalya

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

The 2,020 Blarney Build

Post by Quantumsurfer » Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:40 am

The 2,020 Blarney Build
Fifth Annual BrikWars Konstruktion Contest

Welcome, BrikWarriors, to the age of Brikbuilt Escalation. In this storied fragment of the shattered chronology, all manner of characters (from lowly minifig to lowly human) gather at the most famous bar of them all, that grand old ORANGE TRANSPARENT motherfucker of a meeting place, the Four Rums. Whether drinking or not, these epic personages sweep in between adventures from across the spectrum of spacetime to swap tall tales and exaggerate their own Ossum. Bawdy fish stories and bold, raucous boasting are the order of the day and only the most skillful storytellers are raised in esteem in the eyes of their fellows. But only those who live by the age old adage "pics or it didn't happen" can truly "prove" their Ossum with a show and tell that will spread their name and legend out among the stars.

Beginning in March of BR 2,020, it was decreed that Maniac Beer would be allowed to affect the color transparency of the bar, turning it GREEN TRANSPARENT for the duration of the month of March and the length of the Blarney Build.

Participants

Participants will each create one or more "builds," in real bricks or in LDD, and capture a comprehensive set of images that show it off. A "build" can be anything from a single object like a vehicle to an entire vignette. Go nuts. The Judges will have their own views on what constitutes a complete build and that will show in their scoring, particularly in Style and Substance. Anywhere between 1 and 10 images in general ought to be fine. Simply create something BrikWarsy, preferably something that references the rulebook, the lore (community or official), and/or the history.

Participants can submit their build to one of three categories: Brik by Brik, Digital Dimension, or Drunken Madness.
  • Brik by Brik is for IRL builds and entries should be posted to the Armoury forum.
  • Digital Dimension is for LDD builds and entries should be posted to the LDD subforum.
  • Drunken Madness is for builds of either stripe, with the catch that the builder be both of a legal drinking age and completely plastered for the duration of the building process, and should be posted to the Armoury forum as well.
Those wishing to participate in the contest should submit an original build via a new thread in the Armoury or LDD forum between March 2, 2020 and March 31, 2020, including the identifier tag [BB20] in the title.

Participants may submit more than one entry. Contestants can only win one Reward, however, and only their highest scoring piece will count in this regard.

Entries may represent any BrikWars tone, style, etcetera. The BrikVerse is a wildly diverse setting and the purpose of this contest is to encourage more awesome new content.

Judges

Judging of the entries will commence immediately following the contest, beginning April 1, 2020, and will end no later than April 8, 2020. The final scores will be announced and formalized in this thread on April 9, 2020.

For the 2020 Contest, the following are Judges:
  • MadMario
  • Food_Truk
  • Cracjaw
The following are Secondary Judges:
  • AnnoyedZebra
Judges will view each entry and score it based on the following categories:
  • Style -- Relating to the concept of the build, the inventiveness and creativity of the build, particularly any NPU, the technical skill with which the concept is rendered recognizable to the audience.
  • Substance-- Relating to the mechanics of the build, the viability and efficiency of its construction, the actual depth of the piece and the balance between what it conveys and the materials it uses to convey it. The scale and/or the detail of the build are judged here.
  • Photography-- Quality of the build's photography, the use of clean lighting and clear pictures, the capture of the purpose of the piece such that it is clearly conveyed to the audience. Also included in this category is the inclusion and quality of the parts breakdown image(s).
  • Boast, Tie-Breaker Category-- A picture is worth a thousand words. Be brief and use some of them to embroider the truth and tell the grandest boast about the build.
Each Judging Category is rated on a scale from 1-10. The scores from each category will be added together, with the exception of Boast, for a Total Judge's Score of between 3 and 30. Judges Scores are added together for a Final Score which is then compared to find a winner.

The Boast Score will only be used in the event of a tie between entries.

Judges are encouraged to keep an open, diverse mindset when judging entries as they are not inherently required to adhere to any particular interpretation of Kanon or individually preferred tone. In short, we all have a good general idea of what constitutes as Brikwarsy but a great many of us have some pretty different ideas about the specifics.

Judges may enter the contest as Participants (see above) but may not judge their own entries. Instead, the Secondary Judge will take their place in the scoring of those particular pieces.

Rewards

The 1st Place Winners of each category will each earn a unique title and associated Badge (BrikMason, Digital Arkitekt, and Town Drunkard, respectively) and join the ranks of BrikWars Royalty.

The 1st Place Winner of the contest in general will join the pantheon of BrikWars StudGods, and gain full on bragging rights. They will also earn a unique custom badge, which will be pinned to the winning post and generally used however the winner sees fit (such as its inclusion into their forum signature).

ImageImageImageImage

As an additional bonus this year, forum user ninja_bait has offered a prize to the contest entrant with the best Maniac Beer Recipe included in their Drunken Madness entry.

Enjoy the Buildoff! Happy BrikBuilding and, as always, Have Fun.

GO TO: 2020 Final Scores and Winners

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Re: The 2,020 Blarney Build

Post by Quantumsurfer » Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:47 am

Anyone else for judges?

AnnoyedZebra
Somebody make this Zebra's rank.

Post by AnnoyedZebra » Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:04 am

I can be a backup judge
Image Image

Food_Truk
I'm going to have to use normal children to test it before I can use babies

Post by Food_Truk » Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:11 am

Does cannabis intoxication count towards Drunken Madness, or do I have to kidnap the month of April for a Baked Building Bong-a-Palooza competition? Because this year's April is Month 4 of Year '20 AKA the big 4/20 and

actually I'm just going to do that any way now that I'm thinking about it. :troll:

ninja_bait
I can make this man. I can let him touch the butt. I cannot promise his safety

Post by ninja_bait » Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:18 am

I propose a bonus challenge to celebrate the Four Rums' change in livery:

Drunken Madness builders should provide a Maniac Beer recipe with their builds. I'll award a prize for the best one.
I make apocalypses and apocalypse accessories.

MadMario
Purism Prometheus
Purism Prometheus

Post by MadMario » Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:38 am

ninja_bait wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:18 am
I propose a bonus challenge to celebrate the Four Rums' change in livery:

Drunken Madness builders should provide a Maniac Beer recipe with their builds. I'll award a prize for the best one.
Challenge accepted. :guinness:
Compendium of my works
ImageImageImage
More Badges
Show
ImageImageImageImage

Cracjaw
Minifig

Post by Cracjaw » Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:44 am

Cheers!!
Yeah, you know who I am

:studgod:

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Post by Quantumsurfer » Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:47 pm

I need more judges, please.

Red_SPAMbot
Officer

Post by Red_SPAMbot » Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:07 pm

ninja_bait wrote:
Is this a real recipe as in how to brew beer or make a cocktail, or is this toy brickbuilt pretend stuff?
:studgod:ImageImageImage

Food_Truk

Post by Food_Truk » Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:38 pm

I'm willing to judge if there's need, but you can be assured I'll attempt to be as shitfaced stoned as possible while checking submissions.

ninja_bait

Post by ninja_bait » Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:17 am

Red_SPAMbot wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:07 pm
ninja_bait wrote:
Is this a real recipe as in how to brew beer or make a cocktail, or is this toy brickbuilt pretend stuff?
Real recipes, suitable for human consumption
I make apocalypses and apocalypse accessories.

Food_Truk

Post by Food_Truk » Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:31 am

ninja_bait wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:17 am
Red_SPAMbot wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:07 pm
ninja_bait wrote:
Sure thing, let me just quickly check reddit for some selfmade cocktail based on popular media I can copypa-I mean, do some brewing research.

Red_SPAMbot
Officer

Post by Red_SPAMbot » Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:24 pm

ninja_bait wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:17 am
Real recipes I can do. Suitable for human consumption? Debatable.
:studgod:ImageImageImage

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Post by Quantumsurfer » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:22 am

I need one more judge, please.

Cracjaw
Minifig

Post by Cracjaw » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:30 am

I might be persuaded to judge if you want