The 2,020 June July Jamboree

Show off your armies and weaponry and stuff.

Moderators: Zahru II, Bragallot, RedRover, Natalya

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Post by Quantumsurfer » Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:43 pm

Third Annual BrikWars Scene Konstruktion Contest

Welcome, BrikWarriors, to the midpoint of the year. It is a time of celebration across the BrikVerse as kanon settles into the comfortable, repeating pattern of staggered briks. For many, it is also a celebration of shared community as the various and sundry factions for the rekonstruktion come together in a conglomeration of cross-cultural creation and exchange. Fireworks flare in the skies above parties full of dancing minifigs drunk on the Rule of Cool (and more than a few on Maniac Beer). The denizens of the Brikverse let loose in full swing and, for this brief period each year, really allow their creative sides to shine. Where minifigs of the past may have fought viciously during these times for the sake of nationalism and the natural minifig inclination for violence, modern minifigs have discovered they have just way more fun this way and have way more stuff to play with later if they do things this way anyway. These celebrations, the relationships that form during them (whether friendships or rivalries), and all the badass stuff from ships and vehicles to bases will set the tone for the remainder of the rekon.

Participants

Participants will each create one or more "scenic builds," in real bricks or in LDD, and capture a comprehensive set of images that show it off. A "scenic build" captures a scene or event (of any kind) in the BrikVerse in the form of a vignette or diorama. The Judges will have their own views on what constitutes a complete build and that will show in their scoring, particularly in Style and Substance. Anywhere between 1 and 10 captured images in general ought to be fine. Simply create something BrikWarsy, preferably something that references the rulebook, the lore (community or official), and/or the history.

Those wishing to participate in the contest should submit an original scenic build via a new thread in the Armoury or LDD forum between June 3, 2020 and July 31, 2020, including the identifier tag [JJJ20] in the title.

Participants may submit more than one entry. Contestants can only win one Reward, however, and only their highest scoring piece will count in this regard.

Entries may represent any BrikWars tone, style, etcetera. The BrikVerse is a wildly diverse setting and the purpose of this contest is to encourage more awesome new content.

Judges

Judging of the entries will commence immediately following the contest, beginning August 1, 2020, and will end no later than August 14, 2020. The final scores will be announced and formalized in this thread on August 15, 2020.

For the 2020 Contest, the following are Judges:
  • Space Bunny
  • ninja_bait
  • MadMario
The following are Secondary Judges:
  • Falk
Judges will view each entry and score it based on the following categories:
  • Style -- Relating to the concept of the build, the inventiveness and creativity of the build, particularly any NPU, the technical skill with which the concept is rendered recognizable to the audience.
  • Substance-- Relating to the mechanics of the build, the viability and efficiency of its construction, the actual depth of the piece and the balance between what it conveys and the materials it uses to convey it. The scale and/or the detail of the build are judged here.
  • Photography-- Quality of the build's photography, the use of clean lighting and clear pictures, the capture of the purpose of the piece such that it is clearly conveyed to the audience.
  • Theme, Tie-Breaker Category-- How well the scenic build represents an event that has occurred within the calendar year. How many references can you count (or are pointed out for you)? Is the scene a clear reenactment of the story it is supposed to be representing? Has it been made clear who all the important characters are and is the setting clearly recognizable?
Each Judging Category is rated on a scale from 1-10. The scores from each category will be added together, with the exception of Theme, for a Total Score of between 3 and 30 from each judge. Those scores will be added together for a Final Score which will be compared for the win. Decimal scores will be rounded to the nearest 0.5 score. This system will remain in place until such time as a better system is offered or created.

The Theme Score will only be used in the event of a tie between entries.

Judges are encouraged to keep an open, diverse mindset when judging entries as they are not inherently required to adhere to any particular interpretation of Kanon or individually preferred tone. In short, we all have a good general idea of what constitutes as Brikwarsy but a great many of us have some pretty different ideas about the specifics.

Judges may enter the contest as Participants (see above) but may not judge their own entries. Instead, the Secondary Judge will take their place in the scoring of those particular pieces.

Rewards

The 1st Place Winner will earn the unique title of "Master of Ceremonies" and an associated badge, which will be pinned to the winning post and generally used however the winner sees fit (such as its inclusion into their forum signature).

The second and third place winners will also receive titles and badges, joining the ranks of BrikWars Nobility, with "Director" and "Photographer," respectively.

ImageImageImage

Enjoy the Buildoff! Happy BrikBuilding and, as always, Have Fun.

2020 Entries and Final Scores

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Re: The 2,020 June July Jamboree

Post by Quantumsurfer » Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:44 pm

Anyone for judges?

Space Bunny
Cannon Fodder

Post by Space Bunny » Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:45 pm

I'll judge

ninja_bait
I can make this man. I can let him touch the butt. I cannot promise his safety

Post by ninja_bait » Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:39 pm

I'll judge
I make apocalypses and apocalypse accessories.

MadMario
Purism Prometheus
Purism Prometheus

Post by MadMario » Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:05 pm

I´ll judge
Compendium of my works
ImageImageImage
More Badges
Show
ImageImageImageImage

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Post by Quantumsurfer » Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:59 pm

Jamboree part deux

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Post by Quantumsurfer » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:54 am

Half a month remains.

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Post by Quantumsurfer » Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:47 pm

Can I get a secondary judge anyone?

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Post by Quantumsurfer » Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:10 pm

Only a little under a week remains. Get those entries in.

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Post by Quantumsurfer » Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:36 pm

Contest is ended. Judges, please begin judging the entries.

Falk
Oh no whatever will we do without the buttplugs
Oh no whatever will we do without the buttplugs

Post by Falk » Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:19 pm

Secondary judging is done.
BrikWars 2010 Rules wrote:BrikWars ... stands in pretty direct opposition to many fundamental elements of the LEGO® philosophy, such as "Not Teaching Kids How Funny It Is to Set People on Fire."
Empire of Luchardsko WIP wiki page

ninja_bait

Post by ninja_bait » Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:20 pm

I did it
I make apocalypses and apocalypse accessories.

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Post by Quantumsurfer » Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:23 am

2020 Entries and Final Scores

Thanks to all participants for your entries into this year's Jamboree.

Well done and congratulations. Slightly more entries this year than last but we got some real big hitters. Seriously, you guys went nuts and it is appreciated, I'm sure, by our audience here. These are all awesome and fun builds and I definitely look forward to more of this kind of creativity in the future.

The 2,020 June July Jamboree Winner

Kaplan
For the Scenic Build "Imperial Senate Building"

Second Place Winner

Dienekes22
For the Scene "The Skion at War"

Third Place Winner

Space Bunny
For the Scenic Build "The path back home"

Dienekes22
Cannon Fodder

Post by Dienekes22 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:27 am

Congrats Kaplan on the win. Great contest this year!
stubby wrote:Oh man, look at these guys. Beautiful units, photos in focus, appropriately cropped, white background... what if I remove all the current photos from the rulebook and just replace everything with these
Contest Badges
Show
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
Medivo factions - Medivo Forum Battles
Sci-Fi Factions -

silasw
Official Duck
Official Duck

Post by silasw » Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:10 pm

Great builds all around!