Mages and Magic (my way)

Supplement ideas, house rules, homemade stat cards, homebrew weapon types, and other cool variations

Moderators: warman45, Rev. Sylvanus

Mages and Magic (my way)

Postby qwertyu63 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:57 pm

Magic is held not by people, but by items. Those who know how to use these items well are Mages. Those who don't, often blow themself up.

ITEMS:
Any minifig holding a Magic Item may try to use any of it's effects, just like any thing else. Using a Magic Item takes the Minifigs Action.

Flame Staff. (? CP) [Aspect: Fire]
Spell: Fire Ball
Range: 7"
Use: 6
Effect: Flames shoot out from the target, flying 2" away and dealing 1d6 damage to all targets hit.

Spell: Flame Hand
Use: 5
Range: 4"
Effect: Any CC attack made by the target in the next turn deals 2 extra damage.

Icy Rod (? CP) [Aspect: Ice]
Spell: Ice Beam
Range: 5"
Effect: Deals 1D6-1 damage to the target. If this dosen't kill them, they are frozen in Ice for 1 turn, losing the turn in question.

Spell: Frost Armor
Range: 1"
Effect: Target unit gains +1 Armor until the end of the turn.

Lighting Mace (? CP) [Aspect: Lighting]
Spell: Lighting Bolt
Use: Equal to the range expressed in inches
Range: endless
Effect: 2d6+1 damage on hit.

Spell: Warding Storm
Use: 4
Range: 0"
Effect: All units within 2 inches of the caster have cover (equal to 1/3 of a minifig) for 1 turn.

Vine Whip (? CP) [Aspect: Nature]
Spell: Poison Thorn
Effect: This spell can only effects minifigs and other animals. The target takes 3 damage now and 2 next turn. This stacks with all other damage taken in that turn.

Spell: Healing Earth
Use: 7
Effect: This spell can, when done right, bring a minifig back to life. The minifig must have a head and at least 2 other limbs (they do not need to be the ones they started with). If the spell fails, remove the head from play (It explodes)

(More Magic Items on the way.)

MAGES
Mages can use Magic Items better than most. They also know how to twist the power inside them to new ends.

Skill: 2d4
Armor: 1d4
Move: 5"
Skill: Magic Atunement.
Due to their training in the magic arts, the Use rating for Magic Items is reduced by 3 in the hands of a Mage
Spell Knowlege: A mage with a magic item may, as a Heroic Feat, attempt a spell of the players creation, so long as it fits the items aspect.

Critical Failures:
Anytime an attack spell is a Critical Failure, the spell autohits the caster. (This is why Mages are 2d4 rather than 1d6, to reduce the odds of this happening.)

EDIT: I would like help pricing these in CP. Ideas are also enjoyed.
Last edited by qwertyu63 on Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:06 pm, edited 5 times in total.
TROLOLO
qwertyu63
Battlefield General

Postby razgriz 25th inf. » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:05 pm

post in the announcements forum first, PLEASE. be glad im in a good mood. you are by no means the first to make this blatent mistake.
"If you fuck a clone of yourself, is it incest or masturbation?" - my best friend

Being a Knight of Space is hard work. Nobody else could land so many hot people and still be coherent.

razgriz 25th inf.
Galidor

Postby Rev. Sylvanus » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:15 pm

I appreciate the effort here and like the take on magic. A couple points of interest, though:

6) Requiring a move and and action to activate a narrow spell is close to useless. As an opponent, i'm just going to keep my units perpetually outside the caster's range.

7) There is something of a lack of flexibility in turning "magic" items into glorified weapons. I like my fire mage to be able to make fire armor, fire walls, fire elementals, fire balls, and fire cocktails at his hearts desire.

But I do like the idea of making magic "harder" for non-users. Perhaps there is a way for a "wand" to allow access to 3-x number of different spells within a discipline (like WFB lores or DnD schools)
For Your Reading Pleasure: Rev's Battle Reports

Reference Sheets: Animals and Mounts / Medieval Weapons

Factions: Dragon Guard / Hiimboredagain Raiders
Rev. Sylvanus
Galidor

Postby qwertyu63 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:52 pm

Rev. Sylvanus wrote:I appreciate the effort here and like the take on magic. A couple points of interest, though:

6) Requiring a move and and action to activate a narrow spell is close to useless. As an opponent, I'm just going to keep my units perpetually outside the caster's range.

7) There is something of a lack of flexibility in turning "magic" items into glorified weapons. I like my fire mage to be able to make fire armor, fire walls, fire elementals, fire balls, and fire cocktails at his hearts desire.

Both of these are good points. Both are now corrected. Have fun!
TROLOLO
qwertyu63
Battlefield General

Re: Mages and Magic (my way)

Postby Rev. Sylvanus » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:09 pm

qwertyu63 wrote:Magic is held not by people, but by items. Those who know how to use these items well are Mages. Those who don't, often blow themself up.

ITEMS:
Any minifig holding a Magic Item may try to use any of it's effects, just like any thing else. Using a Magic Item takes the Minifigs Action.

Flame Staff. (? CP) [Aspect: Fire]
Spell: Fire Ball
Range: 7"
Use: 6
Effect: Flames shoot out from the target, flying 1d6-2" away and dealing 1d6 damage to all targets hit.

Spell: Flame Hand
Range: 4"
Effect: Any CC attack made by the target in the next turn deals 2 extra damage.

Icy Rod (? CP) [Aspect: Ice]
Spell: Ice Beam
Range: 5"
Effect: Deals 1D6-1 damage to the target. If this dosen't kill them, they are frozen in Ice for 1 turn, losing the turn in question.

Spell: Frost Armor
Range: 1"
Effect: Target unit gains +1 Armor until the end of the turn.

Lighting Mace (? CP) [Aspect: Lighting]
Spell: Lighting Bolt
Use: Equal to the range expressed in inches +3
Range: endless
Effect: 1d6+1 damage on hit.

Spell: Warding Storm
Effect: All units within 2 inches of the caster have cover (equal to 1/3 of a minifig) for 1 turn.

(More Magic Items on the way.)

MAGES
Mages can use Magic Items better than most. They also know how to twist the power inside them to new ends.

Skill: 2d4
Armor: 1d4
Move: 5"
Skill: Magic Atunement.
Due to their training in the magic arts, the Use rating for Magic Items is reduced by 3 in the hands of a Mage
Spell Knowlege: A mage with a magic item may, as a Heroic Feat, attempt a spell of the players creation, so long as it fits the items aspect.

Critical Failures:
Anytime an attack spell is a Critical Failure, the spell autohits the caster. (This is why Mages are 2d4 rather than 1d6, to reduce the odds of this happening.)

Cool. Options are much better. On to more stuff. So i'm curious how you went about making the stats? What did you base your decisions on?

Some spells could use some simplification. Fireball, for example, could simply have a 2" radius for damage rather than "shooting out 1d6-2" from the target." That's a little complicated with a bunch of dice rolling.

Or lightning bolt for example is way underpowered. Compare it to a rifle. Rifle does 1d6+1 damage up to 10" away for a use of 3. Even in the hands of a mage, the use rating to deal 1d6+1 damage with a lightning bolt at 10" away is Use: 10 :shock:

So some simplification of some spells might be good to cut down on wordyness, and spells should probably be comparable in power to their weapon counterparts. Just some ideas...

Rev.
For Your Reading Pleasure: Rev's Battle Reports

Reference Sheets: Animals and Mounts / Medieval Weapons

Factions: Dragon Guard / Hiimboredagain Raiders
Rev. Sylvanus
Galidor

Postby enders_shadow » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:50 pm

Yeah, the lighting bolt would definitely need to be tweaked a little bit, but I really like that it's use changes the further away it is from the target, seems pretty realistic (as far as magic goes) Keep it up, can't wait for more :D
TROLOLO
enders_shadow
Playmobil

Re: Mages and Magic (my way)

Postby qwertyu63 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:43 pm

**My replys marked with stars**
Rev. Sylvanus wrote:Cool. Options are much better. On to more stuff. So I'm curious how you went about making the stats? What did you base your decisions on?

**Honestly, random numbers puller out of my rear end**

Some spells could use some simplification. Fireball, for example, could simply have a 2" radius for damage rather than "shooting out 1d6-2" from the target." That's a little complicated with a bunch of dice rolling.

**True, I'll find the average roll and make it default***

Or lightning bolt for example is way underpowered. Compare it to a rifle. Rifle does 1d6+1 damage up to 10" away for a use of 3. Even in the hands of a mage, the use rating to deal 1d6+1 damage with a lightning bolt at 10" away is Use: 10 :shock:

**Huh, good to know. -leaves to buy LEGO rifles for my next battle- I'll up the damage**

So some simplification of some spells might be good to cut down on wordyness, and spells should probably be comparable in power to their weapon counterparts. Just some ideas...

Rev.
TROLOLO
qwertyu63
Battlefield General

Return to Bonus Material