Forum-based TCG+dice game in need of feedback

For all those games that happen to not be BrikWars

Moderators: Olothontor, Timedude

Postby Silverdream » Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:00 pm

Ross_Varn wrote:Obviously the Old Guard- Rayhawk, Natalya, Warhead, J+B, Benny, OneEye, Doc X, Aoffan, Moronstudios, Zahru, Brag, Aph77, Pesgores, BF, Tzan, Arkbrik, Magic Soap, Piltogg, Rody... and myself? Jesus, that's a lot of people. Maybe just the first five.

The Hill construction card has to be somewhere in there.


Maybe just the ones that vary from each other and/or fit into stereotypes.

Rayhawk, Natalya, Warhead, J+B, Benny, OneEye, Brag, BF, Tzan, Arkbrik, Piltogg, Roc, Blitzen, Crazyhorse.

These ones.

Ideas for these ones include: Natalya's goal is to destroy J+B, Warhead, Roc.

Brag's goal is to destroy Warhead.

Tzan's goal is to get rid of all modern and space creations, so that he can live in a world similiar to the one in his twenties'

Bfenix's goal is to keep Warhead alive, and metalize all his opponents.

Blitzen's goal is to destroy all misspelled cards.

Crazyhorse's goal is to get a weed, bong and lighter card.

Arkbrik's goal is to make two male heroes make out.
Image

Spoiler: show
mgb519 wrote:Seriously, you are now the first ever forum superhero.


Colette wrote:I hereby acknowledge Silverdream as the one and only forum troll as agreed in the bet.


Quantumsurfer wrote:No, I have 2 silver.
User avatar
Silverdream
Blockguy
 
Posts: 7758
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:33 pm
Location: Feeding my fuckin' habit.

Postby OneEye589 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:05 pm

Don't forget about using colors for the connection blocks.

There are four sides on each card too, so you can use that to your advantage. Maybe one of the sides is only used for minifigs.

For example, take your castle wall. Use one side for propulsion, another for a cockpit, another for weapons/arms, and the last for minifigs. A cockpit could also hold minifigs and more weapons. Propulsion could hold more weapons.

Along with these structure cards, minifig cards, and weapon cards, it might be interesting to have some other "spell" or "action" type cards. I would love to play "Horde of 15,000 Minifigs" on an enemy.
User avatar
OneEye589
Pooplord
 
Posts: 4255
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:35 pm
Location: New York

Postby 501stCadians » Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:06 pm

Silverdream
Goal:Trolololol Silverdream must infuriate and annoy any other heroes into submission.
Bonus:Lost his meds. Silverdream turns into Silvadream, giving him bonus attack damage to his goal attacks(ie. Attacks against heroes)
Limitation:Weakness Heros like Warhead and Rayhawk get bonus attack damage towards Silverdream.
IVhorseman wrote:I'm the Several Hundred Dollar Man!

Image
Rayhawk wrote:"Give him the stick DON'T GIVE HIM THE STICK" was a major part of Knights Kingdom development.
User avatar
501stCadians
Playmobil
 
Posts: 1552
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:35 pm
Location: Kingston, Ontario, Canada

Postby stubby » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:37 am

OneEye589 wrote:Don't forget about using colors for the connection blocks.

There are four sides on each card too, so you can use that to your advantage. Maybe one of the sides is only used for minifigs.

I thought about colors for the connections, but couldn't figure out any way for them to make the game any more interesting. So far anyway.

I may make a connection type that's just for minifigs somehow. I'd have to be careful about which cards would have that kind of limitation; ideally if you had 100 castle wall cards then you could build a giant 10x10 wall, which requires non-minifig use of all four sides on at least 64 of them.
User avatar
stubby
forum janitor
 
Posts: 4921
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:31 pm

Postby stubby » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:46 am

Ross_Varn wrote:Obviously the Old Guard- Rayhawk, Natalya, Warhead, J+B, Benny, OneEye, Doc X, Aoffan, Moronstudios, Zahru, Brag, Aph77, Pesgores, BF, Tzan, Arkbrik, Magic Soap, Piltogg, Rody... and myself? Jesus, that's a lot of people. Maybe just the first five.

The Hill construction card has to be somewhere in there.

It's tricky, you don't want the heroes to overwhelm the deck either. One hero per 10-20 regular cards would be ideal. Maybe you could have a couple more if they were lesser heroes without game-winning Goals attached, but either way the Ego penalties will really start to hurt after you lay down more than a couple Heroes of any type.
User avatar
stubby
forum janitor
 
Posts: 4921
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:31 pm

Postby *CRAZYHORSE* » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:13 am

Silverdream wrote:Crazyhorse's goal is to get a weed, bong and lighter card.

Now I don't know what this thread is about because I didn't follow it but what I do know is that I don't smoke bong (for reasons I will explain if asked) so it should be Weed, lighter/paper card and then something to eat for the munchies. And also some kind of bonus when Rody is also there.

Anyway what all you guys are cooking up here looks fun on first glance although I have no real idea what it's about. Good job guys.
stubby wrote:You were inb4beluga.
User avatar
*CRAZYHORSE*
My Little Pony
 
Posts: 1758
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:10 pm
Location: Procrasturbating.

Postby OneEye589 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:59 am

stubby wrote:
OneEye589 wrote:Don't forget about using colors for the connection blocks.

There are four sides on each card too, so you can use that to your advantage. Maybe one of the sides is only used for minifigs.

I thought about colors for the connections, but couldn't figure out any way for them to make the game any more interesting. So far anyway.

I may make a connection type that's just for minifigs somehow. I'd have to be careful about which cards would have that kind of limitation; ideally if you had 100 castle wall cards then you could build a giant 10x10 wall, which requires non-minifig use of all four sides on at least 64 of them.


Well, you could always attach the castle walls to the side, then on the top place the minifigures. I would save at least one side for minifigures to keep things a bit more organized.
User avatar
OneEye589
Pooplord
 
Posts: 4255
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:35 pm
Location: New York

Postby Tzan » Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:41 pm

I liked the first way you did it with minis and structures. They just go inside anywhere.

It would seem odd to "attach" a mini to a structure.
If you wanted to do that anyway I see no reason to limit where the attachment is, except if it made no sense based on the structure type. But in those cases you wouldnt be attaching structure there either.

example helicopter blades
sideways card, with attachment on one long side, the short sides cannot be attached to by anything, the other long side is all blades so no attach here either.

----

Jet engine
one short side has no attach

----

I was wondering how you would handle playing a card with specific attachments to the left or right hand side of a structure. It may require placing a card upside down.

----

If the cards have two imaginary connection boxes on them now, why is there 3 attachment icons on the long side?
User avatar
Tzan
Blockguy
 
Posts: 5027
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:41 pm
Location: Boston

Postby stubby » Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:09 pm

Tzan wrote:example helicopter blades
sideways card, with attachment on one long side, the short sides cannot be attached to by anything, the other long side is all blades so no attach here either.

In fact you can already see this specific example in the first image I posted (dekwars1.jpg). The 2x2 brick on the bottom of the helicopter blades means it can only connect on that point, but it has the smallest vertical-connection requirement.

Tzan wrote:I was wondering how you would handle playing a card with specific attachments to the left or right hand side of a structure. It may require placing a card upside down.

That shouldn't ever be a problem, I'm designing the cards with orientation in mind - right now all vehicles and weapons are facing to the left (which is weird when I think of it, I should make them face right instead), which makes it easy to design in the construction limits I want to. Except when doing Nega-style building, there shouldn't be any time when it'd make sense to change a card's orientation.

Tzan wrote:If the cards have two imaginary connection boxes on them now, why is there 3 attachment icons on the long side?

For cards that attach in the middle, at the halfway point. Attaching a card to a side point blocks off the middle point, and vice versa. It just makes the construction choices a little more interesting, especially on cards where the middle point has a larger allowed build connection than the side points.
User avatar
stubby
forum janitor
 
Posts: 4921
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:31 pm

Postby Tzan » Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:36 pm

Yeah I saw that, thats why I use the heliblades as an example of not attaching minifigs ouch! :)

-----

Card facing
So in a left facing world
A weapon faces left and can be attached to a structure piece on its right.

So either it can't attach to the right side of the structure (upsidedown), or maybe you need to make some of the weapon cards face right.

---

attach points
I'm sure your way if fine for now, testing will tell.
It just seems a bit complicated.

I was thinking anything can attach to anything if it has a point. There is only one type of point. Thats the most simple way.
User avatar
Tzan
Blockguy
 
Posts: 5027
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:41 pm
Location: Boston

Postby Silverdream » Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:51 pm

501stCadians wrote:Silverdream
Goal:Trolololol Silverdream must infuriate and annoy any other heroes into submission.
Bonus:Lost his meds. Silverdream turns into Silvadream, giving him bonus attack damage to his goal attacks(ie. Attacks against heroes)
Limitation:Weakness Heros like Warhead and Rayhawk get bonus attack damage towards Silverdream.


Better Goal:Silverdream must stop a hero right before he/she achieves his/her goal.
Image

Spoiler: show
mgb519 wrote:Seriously, you are now the first ever forum superhero.


Colette wrote:I hereby acknowledge Silverdream as the one and only forum troll as agreed in the bet.


Quantumsurfer wrote:No, I have 2 silver.
User avatar
Silverdream
Blockguy
 
Posts: 7758
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:33 pm
Location: Feeding my fuckin' habit.

Postby stubby » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:02 pm

Tzan wrote:attach points
I'm sure your way if fine for now, testing will tell.
It just seems a bit complicated.

I was thinking anything can attach to anything if it has a point. There is only one type of point. Thats the most simple way.

You may be right. I think that almost everything I wanted to achieve with the different connection types, I can get out of controlling which sides can't be built on like Bonn-o-Tron.

The couple of exceptions I see can be handled with special rules text on the overlap sections. Superweapon sections, for instance, need to have leftward connection points that only attach other weapons. Attaching, say, an office building to the end of a gun barrel would hamper the gun's effectiveness. Unless your goal is to shoot office buildings, in which case I guess the gun is much more effective.

Silverdream wrote:Better Goal:Silverdream must stop a hero right before he/she achieves his/her goal.

Ha ha ha
User avatar
stubby
forum janitor
 
Posts: 4921
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:31 pm

Postby enders_shadow » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:05 pm

Tzan wrote:Card facing
So in a left facing world
A weapon faces left and can be attached to a structure piece on its right.

So either it can't attach to the right side of the structure (upsidedown), or maybe you need to make some of the weapon cards face right.

---

attach points
I'm sure your way if fine for now, testing will tell.
It just seems a bit complicated.

I was thinking anything can attach to anything if it has a point. There is only one type of point. Thats the most simple way.


another option would be to have two images for most weapons/minifigs/etc. Almost like facecards in a 52 card deck- they seem faceup from both sides.
TROLOLO
enders_shadow
Playmobil
 
Posts: 1723
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:18 pm
Location: The logical answer would be

Postby Tzan » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:23 pm

Left facing card
Flames
Attached to a creature head add a flame attack
there is one connector (to the head)


Right facing card
Flames
attach to an engine with exhaust, possible modifiers
one connector


Top facing (vertical)
Banner
Like a 40k banner, adds awesome and possible combat modifiers.
one connector


Flames and Banners are not really structure but are awesome! so count toward victory conditions.

Perhaps the definition of the victory condition is to score a certain amount of Awesome. Each card is probably only one awesome each, a card worth two is probably too much. Although getting specific sets of 3+ connected might give a bonus +1 Awesome

This gives you the chance to have Structure points and Awesome points.
Structure points would effect the combat/movement rules
Awesome points effect the victory conditions

Awesome only cards, create dead ends for construction, possibly can't be targeted, they are destroyed when the parent card is removed, so you lose 2 for 1.
User avatar
Tzan
Blockguy
 
Posts: 5027
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:41 pm
Location: Boston

Postby stubby » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:33 pm

Tzan wrote:Flames and Banners are not really structure but are awesome! so count toward victory conditions.

Perhaps the definition of the victory condition is to score a certain amount of Awesome. Each card is probably only one awesome each, a card worth two is probably too much. Although getting specific sets of 3+ connected might give a bonus +1 Awesome

They're also weapons of a sort. Flames have obvious weapon applications, banners have a secondary role of impaling anyone dropping on them.

More and more I'm digging the idea of attaching the victory conditions to the heroes you have in play. I don't see anything wrong with making a hero with Awesomeness as their Goal though - BFenix in particular would be good for a victory condition that depended on lots of flames.
User avatar
stubby
forum janitor
 
Posts: 4921
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:31 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Lesser Games

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest