Death of the Albatross

Show off your armies and weaponry and stuff.

Moderators: Zahru II, Bragallot, RedRover, Natalya

Alex
Nice TRIPS

Death of the Albatross

Post by Alex » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:55 pm

The Albatross was a gunship that was intended to be able to quickly deploy a squad of airborne troopers with jetpacks and then take lazy circles while raining down death from above. It had a large number of weapons as well as a large cargo bay with large entrances for rapid deployment.
In the field however, it didn't fare as well as expected. It was slow, bulky, and presented a large target. Combined with the large openings in the side of the gunship, this meant that the passengers were extremely vulnerable to attack, something that was made painfully clear to American forces after their encounters with MASS.
After using up the rockets and losing gunners due to them bailing/being blown up, the albatross would be virtually defenseless against enemy troops.
After taking damage, the pilots would often be left with only one desperate option: to plow the ship into the middle of the enemy forces in the hopes of destroying something and leaving an opening for friendly forces:
As a result of these events, the albatross gained a new name among American soldiers: the turkey, as it was big, slow, and likely to be slaughtered. Many troopers would outright refuse to fly on one. The extremely high casualty rate among pilots and the high cost of having to build so many new albatrosses after every battle led to all remaining albatrosses being scrapped. As the albatross lay dying however, a new bird circled over its carcass:
The condor gunship, designed to address the many weaknesses of the albatross (fun fact: 95% of the condor was made using the pieces of the albatross). First off, it is sleeker and more maneuverable than its predecessor:
Rotating engines allow for VTOL and also for quick flight maneuvers, such as horizontal strafing or dodging oncoming fire:
The addition of retractable landing gear is another minor contribution to reducing the profile and drag of the gunship:
The passengers are more protected by one rear door which closes all the way:
Although cargo space has been reduced, the condor can still carry a squad of men:
While the albatross needed 6 to fly and fully crew all of the weapons, the condor only needs two, a pilot and a gunner, who controls a dual minigun, a pair of lasers on the wings and 8 rockets:
To the enemies of America: watch the skies, because a condor swooping down on you might be the last thing you see :twisted:

Ben-Jammin
Mega Blok

Re: Death of the Albatross

Post by Ben-Jammin » Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:58 pm

I can safely say that I'm glad the Albatross died. Love the Condor.

BFenix
Pooplord

Post by BFenix » Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:47 pm

Ben-Jammin wrote:I can safely say that I'm glad the Albatross died. Love the Condor.

mgb519
My Little Pony

Post by mgb519 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:05 pm

I take pride in being the guy who was responsible for destroying the Albatross every time,
Tzan wrote:
Semaj Nagirrac wrote:Well, I took some land without checking if it was owned by a faction or not. I'm not going to be banned, am I? I can destroy everything if need be.
That's what Hitler said,
in 1938.

Robot Monkey
My Little Pony

Post by Robot Monkey » Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:40 pm

I like the condor! Also, nice way of presenting it by using it's predecessor as a comparison. Reminds me a bit of my helicopter, which has open sides. :| Might have to fix those.

Silverdream
Nice use of noise

Post by Silverdream » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:08 pm

Damn cool. In addition to being more useful it also looks better.
This sig is too fucking large: show anyway
Image lol j/k

Alex
Nice TRIPS

Post by Alex » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:24 am

Thanks for the comments everyone. Silverdream, the aesthetics were just as much the reason for the redesign as anything else. I felt like the old design was too :boxy:

Zupponn
if you give us money we will give you product
if you give us money we will give you product

Post by Zupponn » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:33 pm

Yes, much better.

IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Post by IVhorseman » Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:41 am

mgb519 wrote:I take pride in being the guy who was responsible for destroying the Albatross every time,
Did you use a crossbow?

I have a similar-fated transporter with open side doors, but I solved that problem pretty nicely by putting some folding hangar doors on the sides.

Alex
Nice TRIPS

Post by Alex » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:56 am

IVhorseman wrote:
mgb519 wrote:I take pride in being the guy who was responsible for destroying the Albatross every time,
Did you use a crossbow?
Nice reference

mgb519
My Little Pony

Post by mgb519 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:54 am

No, I learned from his tale and used an energy mortar instead.
Tzan wrote:
Semaj Nagirrac wrote:Well, I took some land without checking if it was owned by a faction or not. I'm not going to be banned, am I? I can destroy everything if need be.
That's what Hitler said,
in 1938.