Painting/Dying Parts?

Creations, construction techniques, and news from the world of plastic toys

Moderators: fredde, Dr. X, ikensall

Painting/Dying Parts?

Postby MrSnapwalk » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:49 pm

Hi,
So, I was planning on getting some of these Galaxy Patrol armor pieces (pic below to jog your memory) for a new army, but there's one problem: they're dark blue with classic space logos on the shoulders, and I need plain black, no printing.

I've thought about painting them, but have heard that paint wears away with heavy use (aka BrikWars). I've also heard about dyes, but can't find out much about them with a simple internet search. Does anyone have any experience with these methods, and if so, any advice on which one to choose?
Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way you'll be a mile away and he'll be shoeless.
MrSnapwalk
Champion

Re: Painting/Dying Parts?

Postby Robot Monkey » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:37 pm

I'd say use matte/shiny (depending on the look you're going for) black paint, then spray over it with paint sealant. That should keep the paint on, even after heavy use.
Robot Monkey
Pooplord

Postby piltogg » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:10 pm

make sure not to paint over any parts that need connection. The thickness of the paint is enough to stop the parts from properly functioning in in some cases.
piltogg
Clown-Face Bologna

Postby Keldoclock » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:24 am

I would strongly suggest you employ some masking tape and a very sharp knife to protect the Classic Space logos. Think how fucking sweet that would look, silver on glossy black!
stubby wrote:omg noob, balrogs are maiars too, don't you know anything
Keldoclock
Pooplord

Postby Silverdream » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:09 am

All I can say is that Sharpie usually looks horrible.

Spoiler: show
mgb519 wrote:Seriously, you are now the first ever forum superhero.

Colette wrote:I hereby acknowledge Silverdream as the one and only forum troll as agreed in the bet.

Quantumsurfer wrote:No, I have 2 silver.
Silverdream
Blockguy

Postby IVhorseman » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:22 am

I sharpied a halberd black just fine.
IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Postby Zupponn » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:26 am

Do not use glue. That won't work.
Zupponn
Lovable and funny
Lovable and funny

Postby Zahru II » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:27 pm

>painting lego

Zahru II
balls just have this nasty tendency to wear out over time

Postby Lord Mercat » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:30 pm

Use Vinyl Dye. It actually seeps into the plastic itself so that the color won't wear away over time, and so that there isn't that frustrating extra layer of paint on the piece that is susceptible to scratching/wear. I believe stubby posted a link to a guide on vinyl dye a while back, but I don't remember where it is.

EDIT- found it- just follow this link, it'll teach you all you need to know- http://www.minifigcustoms.com/node/5407
Semaj Nagirrac wrote:My hot wife and I were about to get a divorce until we saw your army. You have saved our marriage and won our allegiance.

Marriages Saved: 1
Lord Mercat
Minifig

Postby MrSnapwalk » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:58 pm

Keldoclock wrote:I would strongly suggest you employ some masking tape and a very sharp knife to protect the Classic Space logos. Think how fucking sweet that would look, silver on glossy black!

My god, that would look awesome. I was just going to paint it black, but that would be even cooler!

Lord Mercat wrote:Use Vinyl Dye. It actually seeps into the plastic itself so that the color won't wear away over time, and so that there isn't that frustrating extra layer of paint on the piece that is susceptible to scratching/wear. I believe stubby posted a link to a guide on vinyl dye a while back, but I don't remember where it is.

I would use this technique, but I want to preserve that classic space logo on the shoulders. Sorry!
Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way you'll be a mile away and he'll be shoeless.
MrSnapwalk
Champion

Postby aoffan23 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:36 am

MrSnapwalk wrote:I was just going to paint it black!

Thanks, now I can't get that song out of my head.
Tzan wrote:
Quantumsurfer wrote:I generally agree with Tzan
Warhead wrote:I agree with QuantumSmurfer.

I agree with Warhead.
aoffan23
Pooplord

Postby morganm » Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:33 pm

Lord Mercat wrote:Use Vinyl Dye. It actually seeps into the plastic itself so that the color won't wear away over time, and so that there isn't that frustrating extra layer of paint on the piece that is susceptible to scratching/wear. I believe stubby posted a link to a guide on vinyl dye a while back, but I don't remember where it is.

EDIT- found it- just follow this link, it'll teach you all you need to know- http://www.minifigcustoms.com/node/5407

This is the ONLY way to do it with out enraging the Stud God.

Here's another really helpful thread: http://www.mobileframehangar.com/viewto ... =Vinyl+Dye

The guy actually spent the time to research and test a bunch of shit so you don't have to waste your time and money! Apparently there's some products out there that SAY they are vinyl dye and they aren't.... some say they are paint but are actually dye... just read that whole thread and go buy the correct stuff for this job.

Now get crack'n...
morganm
Dimmy

Return to Bricks