Morale system

Supplement ideas, house rules, homemade stat cards, homebrew weapon types, and other cool variations

Moderators: warman45, Rev. Sylvanus

would brikwars be better with a morale system?

yes
16%
no
84%

Total votes: 25

dcl32
Minifig
Location: In Afghanistan providing supressive fire with an M60

Morale system

Post by dcl32 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:05 pm

Hey, i got the idea today for a morale system. It would start on a scale from 0 - 100 at a 50 or whatever based on the units situation. It could then move up or down depending on how the battle unfolds. For example if your squad kills a soldier maybe it would go up 5 points, if they lose one it goes down 5 points. Artillery would drop it maybe 20 or 30 and friendly reinforcements would raise it 20 or 30. It would also affect the squad's performance. such as maybe a squad with 0-30 would roll 1d6-2, 30-50 1d6-1, and 50-70 1d6 70-100 1d6+1. and it could move up 10 points per turn if they don't get shot at. Anyway it's just an idea, feel free to make suggestions.

birdman
Galidor
Galidor

Post by birdman » Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:06 pm

NO MORALE!!!!

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna
Location: Lounging in a commercial Starliner of his own design.

Post by Olothontor » Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:14 pm

What's your problem, birdman? That's a perfectly acceptable custom rule.
"In a mad world, only the mad are sane." - Akira Kurosawa
-=[ Visage ]=-

More Dakka
Champion
Champion
Location: In the marmelade forest, between the make-believe trees.

Post by More Dakka » Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:25 pm

Morale systems can be great depending on what you're doing, but don't fit into the 'core' Brikwars style.

As for actual mechanics, your suggestion is specifically for performance, not breaking/routing, as is typical of games with morale. I wouldn't use the whole 'scale' thing you suggested, but rather grant bonuses/penalties based on kills/deaths proportional to the original size of the squad, e.g. +1 for 1/2 squad size killed, -1 for every 1/2-1/3 squad size deaths. Counting kills is icky IMO, so I would say they'd have to be killed all in one turn for it to count. I'd also let players agree on bonuses for sufficiently awesome accomplishments, which someone else already suggested in some thread to do with in-game bonus feats.
They are coming! I feel them scratching inside my mind, scratching, screaming, running, so many- so, so many voices. They're coming for us - flesh, body and soul!

jifel
Jaw-Jaw

Post by jifel » Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:45 pm

What that means is that killing lots of guys grants extra bonus'!
But, how about for every fig, any army, that dies within 12" of the fig and LoS they gain +5? Maybe every turn without seeing a kill brings it down 5, and a fail to wound brings it down 5. If the fig scores the banhammer himself, +20.

Minifigs start at zero, for every 25 points, add 1 to skill rolls.

jifel
"And the angels of darkness descended upon pinions of fire and light...the great and terrible dark angels."

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by Olothontor » Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:47 pm

Also, maybe, a system in which you lose morale on critical failures, and gain morale on critical successes?
-=[ Visage ]=-

piltogg
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by piltogg » Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:19 pm

It is better to say that because this is a minnifig, not a person, they do not suffer from morale issues; prefering rather to fight and die as awesomely as they can, knowing that they are more likely to become charecters/get names in future games if they do.

Pvt Expendable
Dimmy

Post by Pvt Expendable » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:10 am

one more silly thing to look after,...

Brickwars should be fun, fast, realativley simple (my opinion)

If you want morale, and all that book keeping play warhammer 40k or the naploenic wars (now thats morale on steriods)

Note in the naploeonic wars last time i playe i took all infantry,.. thought really cheap and lots f units, my opponent took all cossack cavalry,... on the first charge , before he even got to me i failed my morale check and my men routed

mental not a dude can't out run a horse
a hoser with a guy welded a butcher knife is more than a match for a dude with no weapon

moral is (if used appropriatley) stupid at least forr brickwars

IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Post by IVhorseman » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:20 am

I've found it tough to have morale systems in brikwars because they all require you to keep track of too much crap at the same time.

birdman
Galidor
Galidor

Post by birdman » Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:57 am

Exactly. there's just too much stuff to deal with.

pesgores
The Dear Leader

Post by pesgores » Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:06 am

Fuck y'all, when I tried to write my own house rules, I included a morale system. Those were stealth battle rules, with less troops than BrikWars, so it would be acceptable.
"You can get more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, that you can with just a kind word." - Al Capone
My official post number 1000 was "The whole battle?"

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by Olothontor » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:27 am

Like I said, make it simple, if you want a morale system at all: just skill checks. Start with a pot of morale for each side, and then gain a certain number of points each time you gain a critical success, MAYBE if the other side gets a critical failure. Assign bonuses according to how many morale points you have.
-=[ Visage ]=-

ahp77
Jaw-Jaw

Post by ahp77 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:17 am

The biggest problem I see w/ this morale system is that minifigs are supposed to be fuckin' FEARLESS. They don't get scared by overwhelming forces. They want to be killed.

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by Olothontor » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:19 am

Which is why so many people point out that it doesn't work for Brikwars. This is true, but that doesn't mean it's not a good system.
-=[ Visage ]=-

jifel
Jaw-Jaw

Post by jifel » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:26 am

ahp77 wrote:The biggest problem I see w/ this morale system is that minifigs are supposed to be fuckin' FEARLESS. They don't get scared by overwhelming forces. They want to be killed.
Yah, so morale goes up whenever they witness a death. And they want to be killed, but want to kill <a href='http://tinyurl.com/y42zurt'>alot</a> of people while they do it.

jifel
"And the angels of darkness descended upon pinions of fire and light...the great and terrible dark angels."