Crab McGuffin

Supplement ideas, house rules, homemade stat cards, homebrew weapon types, and other cool variations

Moderators: warman45, Rev. Sylvanus

Crab McGuffin

Postby Gungnir » Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:27 am

Last night, I bought the Lego Atlantis Monster Crab set. It came with an interesting artifact with a crab emblem on it. So, being the nerd I am, I made some stats 'n' junk for both of them.

Monster Crab 14 CP
Skill: 2D6
Move: 8"
Armor: D10
Size: 3"
Structure:1
Amphibious +1 CP
Takes no penalty when moving through water.
Claws
Use: 4, CC, 2D6 Damage

Crab McGuffin 5 CP
Can only be used while a Monster Crab is present on the field.
When one of your units picks up this item, one of four random innate effects occurs (roll a D4 to determine which effect).
1.) Pisses off the Monster Crab. All of its stats are doubled, and it attacks the holder of the McGuffin as long as he is holding it.
2.) The holder grows a hard, chitinous shell (D10 Armor). Once the McGuffin is dropped, the shell is instantly shed.
3.) The holder's hand is transformed into a crab-like claw (Use: 4, CC, 2D6 Damage). Since one of the unit's hands is a giant claw, and the other is holding the McGuffin, the unit can no longer carry any weapons. Once the McGuffin is dropped, the claw instantly falls off and regrows as a normal hand.
4.) Pisses off the Monster Crab. Same as the first effect.[/u]
Gungnir
Dimmy

Postby Tuefish » Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:10 am

Effect 4 should be: Hypnotizes giant crab: giant crab is under the control of the minifig holding the McGuffen, when the McGuffen is dropped, the crab returns to it's feral state.

Also: you should be able to expose him for massive damage.
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill them right back." -Malcolm Reynolds
TROLOLO
Tuefish
Dimmy

Postby OneEye589 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:57 am

1. Skill Levels can't be multiple dice. You would never be able to roll a 1 if that were the case. Also, even if you changed it to a d12, that's a pretty amazing crab.

2. I would pay half the cost of the crab's movement again if he can move through water with no penalty. If usually he would be at half penalty, then paying half his speed would compensate. For 8" that would only be 2CP, so only 1CP more.

3. It's a crab covered with natural armor, and according to your Skill Level, he's Supernatural. Give him a Structure Level of 2 or 3.
OneEye589
Pooplord

Postby Gungnir » Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:58 pm

Tuefish wrote:Effect 4 should be: Hypnotizes giant crab: giant crab is under the control of the minifig holding the McGuffen, when the McGuffen is dropped, the crab returns to it's feral state.

Also: you should be able to hit the weak point for massive damage.
I don't want to give other players control of my own unit so easily.

OneEye589 wrote:1. Skill Levels can't be multiple dice. You would never be able to roll a 1 if that were the case. Also, even if you changed it to a d12, that's a pretty amazing crab.

2. I would pay half the cost of the crab's movement again if he can move through water with no penalty. If usually he would be at half penalty, then paying half his speed would compensate. For 8" that would only be 2CP, so only 1CP more.

3. It's a crab covered with natural armor, and according to your Skill Level, he's Supernatural. Give him a Structure Level of 2 or 3.
Is this more balanced?
Monster Crab 14 CP
Skill: D8
Move: 8"
Armor: D10
Size: 3"
Structure:1
Amphibious +2 CP
Takes no penalty when moving through water.
Claws +4 CP
Use: 4, CC, 2D6 Damage
Weak Point -3 CP
Attacks against Monster Crab get +xD6 on a critical success.
(x = Number Rolled / Use Rating).

I'm keeping the armor as it is. I don't want it to bee too overpowerd.
Gungnir
Dimmy

Postby OneEye589 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:19 pm

Yep, that's better, but I would still up the armor. As you have it now, the average roll for it would be less than the average roll for a minifigure with armor on it. I would at least give it 2d10.
OneEye589
Pooplord

Postby Gungnir » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:59 pm

It's really more of a charging unit. If someone gets the McGuffin and rolls a 1 or 4, the Crab's move doubles with the rest of it's stats. That's a 32" charge with MOM 3 (due to size limits). It's highly unlikely that a POP 1 minifig would survive that, and even if he did, he'd go flying.
Gungnir
Dimmy

Return to Bonus Material